Is It Possible To Mount Acme 3 Shutter on Linhof/Wista Lens board?

marike1

<p>I am interested in a Goerz 12" f9 RD Artar lens that is mounted in an Acme 3 shutter. Can this lens be mounted directly onto a Linhof/Wista board? The guy at the store said I would need to re-mount it in a Copal 3 shutter. Any info would be greatly appreciated. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes. My Ilex #3 Acme Synchro shutter with f:4.5 6 1/2 Paragon lens needs a 52 mm hole cut in a standard Linhof 4X5 board.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So your saying I can use older lenses mounted in Acme 3 shutters, but would need to buy a blank linhof technika/wista board, and have it drilled to 52?<br>

I can't tell how large of a shutter the Acme 3 is from pictures, whether it is too big for my camera (a Chamonix 45n-1, a small wood field) or not. I get the idea that most people who use 4x5 wood field cameras tend to stick to copal 0 and copal 1 shutters when choosing lenses. I can't really get an answer from the guy at the camera store, so I thought I'd ask here.<br>

There are some great older lenses, and I would like the Goerz RD Artar that interest me, but I simply don't know if I can use a 12" lens like this one because the shutter is too big for my camera. <br>

Any further info would really help me out. Thanks John and thanks in advance to anyone else. </p>

<p>Yes, and even Ilex #4 will fit with no problem. But Ilex shutters come with a flange, not a retaining ring/nut, so you'll also have to have the flange mounted to the board, unless you cheat and use the flange as a retaining ring, which I do at least temporarily.</p>

<p>Cheers, Steve</p>

<p>That is what I thought. It seemed crazy that the guy at the shop was suggesting that I remount the Artar in a Copal 3 shutter, but I guess he misunderstood my question since I mentioned that I was trying to stick to Copal 0/1 <em>size</em> shutters. Not that I only want to <em>use</em> modern Copal shutters. </p>

<p>And even though I don't have anything but modern lenses yet, I am <em>really</em> interested in older, vintage lenses like the Comercial Ektars, Goerz Dagors & Artars. Not that's that's all they are good for, but I have been shooting tons of B&W lately, and I would imagine such lenses give a certain "look" that cannot be achieved with modern lenses. </p>

<p>Aside from how specifically lensboards are cut, if I were to buy a lens mounted in an Acme 3 (Ilex?) shutter, would I then order a blank lensboard from Bromwell (for example), and then find a place to "cut" a 52 mm hole? <br>

Can anyone recommend a place where I can get this done? <br>

Or does it make more sense to stick to Copal shutters? This options seems to exclude a ton of fine older lenses. </p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Everyone above is correct as to the highest quality way to create the hole, I am sure.</p>

<p>But what I have done is to get a board either undrilled, or drilled for the smaller sized modern shutters. Then I use a scroll saw to cut out a larger circle just barely smaller than I will need for the older lens... and file the board the last bit of the way for a perfect fit. I have once drilled in holes to mount the flange as intended (mounted to the outside of the board), but generally have been able to use it as a retaining ring (securing the lens from the back of the board).<br>

It is, of course, easier to mount "flange style lenses" on wooden lens boards (for which they were designed) than on metal lens boards... but if you fuss with it you can ususally find a way.</p>