Nature Photography around Ruidoso NM

bryan_hodges

Hi Bryan,

The Ruidoso area is full of excellent opportunities to take pictures. However, they aren't all within hiking distance of each other.

Places I've had good results include the White Sands National Monument down in the Basin 120 miles south west of Ruidoso. If you're going when a full moon is out, the park stays open at night to give an excellent photographic opportunity.

There are lots of trails around the Apache Mountain Ski Resort. Try to position yourself along the western edge of the mountain during sunsets. That area with the wind and potential storms can consistantly produce unforgettable sunsets.

You also might want to try farther south towards Cloudcroft. There are many trails/paths that head to the south from there towards Sunspot (a fairly famous observatory). My personal favorite is the Rim Trail just south of Cloudcroft that spans the whole western edge of the Sacramento Mountains from Cloudcroft to Sunspot (approx 17 miles). You have a pretty clear view of the basin to the west while you're hiking down. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of opportunities to replenish water on that trail.

The fall colors will hit peak in a couple of weeks. This year's weather conditions unfortunately weren't perfect for maximizing the colors but they should still be beautiful by the time you get there.

Be on the watch for elk down in that area. Unlike National Parks, they are very cautious of humans and are almost impossible approach. However, they are there and it's amazing when they unexpectedly show themselves.

I hope this helps.

Tom Hill

I have gone to Ruidoso twice because of friends who have cabins there and who had invited me for long weekends. I was disappointed with the photographic opportunities. Maybe a couple of hundred miles from Ruidoso are good "nature" landscape photography opportunities but around the immediate area of Ruidoso, I found nothing but cabins all over the mountain slopes and valleys and in between lots of high line wires and ski lifts criss-crossing the terrain. You might think in terms of the "intimate landscape" i.e. some macro shots.