How do you use your telephoto?

chauncey_huffman

<p>Hey everyone. I have a couple of weddings coming up and I've got about 10 under my belt (not a seasoned pro, but not my first rodeo either.) Up until now I haven't used a telephoto at a wedding. I've always used either my Sigma 24-70 2.8 or my Nikon 17-55 2.8 on my D90. However, I recently bought a Nikon 80-200 2.8 for portraits etc. I would like to use it at this next wedding, but I was wondering how it would best be utilized. I have a D70 for my backup body and I was considering attaching the tele to it and just carrying around both cameras for speed. Is that common, or do most of you just rapidly change lenses when you need to. I have a concern that I won't be able to switch fast enough or that I'll damage my camera or lenses because I'm in such a hurry. I guess my real question after all that is: How do you use your Telephoto Lens(es) during a Wedding?</p>

<p>It is a great lenght to shoot from afar. You will be able to get shots where the subjects are unaware they are being photographed. There is just something wonderful about the perspective at 100-200mm. The 2.8 can really isolate the subject from the back ground.<br>

You would use it at the church, at the receiption, whenever. I'd carry both camera's around, at least for a while. Set it down for a rest once in a while because that sucker is heavy. You will really enjoy it if you have not used it before. I am surprised you have taken weddings without anything longer than 70mm.</p>

<p>I use my 70-200 f2.8 from the back of the church to get the shots of the ceremony. Lately most churches have been telling me to stay "behind / no closer to the alter" than the last row of guests. So - the only ways to get the ceremony is to use the tele zoom or restage parts of the ceremony.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Main camera has 17-55 2.8 at all times, pre ceremony, ceremony, formals, reception<br>

Backup has 70-200 2.8, for use during ceremony<br>

Bang out a few shots of ceremony w/main, then swing up the backup, for close up of hands during putting on of ring, or faces/images during reading of vows to isolate.<br>

During reception, the backup w/long lens does some candids from across ballroom/wherever, to isolate emotions, joyful chuckling, etc...</p>

<p>We use our 70-200 during the ceremony, for detail shots (rings, gown detail, flowers, etc), and as a two photographer team, one of us is using it to capture the candid moments while the other is doing more traditional work (like during group shots). Definitely put it on your backup body and shoot with both bodies - you will love the extra reach!</p>

<p>Getting back to the 80-200 lens, you will likely find the lens has a very specific use which makes it somewhat limited. I have the 70-200 VR lens, but I don't think the 80-200 is VR, which means you'll likely have significant risk of camera shake being a problem unless you use a tripod type support or a shutter speed of at least 1/250 second. Next telephoto lenses compress the perspective, if you want to show depth, you may reconsider using this lens, but the compression can yeild very nice effects. This lens, is used to get shots from the back of the ceremony, to produce very blurred (isolated) backgrounds and very tight shots. My favorite lens is the 17-55 2.8 due to the versitility it offers. I usually only do a handful of shots with the 70-200 for weddings, but all the time for my portraits and modeling portfolios.</p>

<p><strong><em>" . . . I won't be able to switch fast enough or that I'll damage my camera or lenses because I'm in such a hurry. . . How do you use your Telephoto Lens(es) during a Wedding? . . . I will . . . put my tele on my back up and use both of them. . . Does anyone know of any strap systems or anything of the sort that will allow me to carry both camera securely and lessen the load on my back and/or shoulders?"</em></strong><br>

<br>

I consistently use / carry two cameras.<br>

<br>

Taking the three zoom lenses you mention the 24 to 70F/2.8 becomes superfluous in respect of FL / Av speed, therefore you would have the 80 to 200 and the 17 to 55 mounted. <br>

<br>

If I had that rig, then the Camera with the 17-55 would have a wrist strap or the Camera strap wrapped around my right wrist, and the Camera with the 80 to 200 around my neck, adjusted to rest on my diaphragm. <br>

<br>

You can practice the technique of dropping the 17 to 55 camera, before the right hand moves to grab the other camera, such that the cameras never bang together.<br>

<br>

I find no strain on my back, and with balance the heavier camera (80 to 200) does not cause strain on my neck if the strap is situated <em >low enough and kept in place with my shirt or coat collar</em> – this last point is important.<br>

<br>

BTW, just picking friendly nits – the 24 to 70 and the 17 to 55 are both telephoto at the long end when used on a D90 and D70 – especially the 80 to 200: I mention this as . . . to mate with a 24 to 70F/2.8, I would choose a fast 135, before choosing the 80 to 200, if I were using dual APS-C cameras.<br>

<br>

To mate with the 17 to 55, I would choose a fast 85 (and perhaps a fast 135 also) <br>

<br>

WW<br>

<br>

</p>

<p > </p>