What would you take?

bill_brock1

<p>Im going to a harlem globetrotters game tonight and have row six seats. I dont know what camera or lens to take since Ive never shot in a indoor basketball game. GUYS PLEASE HELP! LOL<br>

Here is what I have to choose from or I can bring it all I guess....<br>

Nikon D80<br>

Nikon D1x<br>

Nikon 80-200 af-d 2.8 push pull<br>

Nikon 50mm 1.8<br>

Nikon 18-135mm af-s<br>

Nikon SB-600<br>

I love the speed of the D1x on continous focus over the D80 by FAR for getting sharp pics in action. But the D80 makes terriffic pics if they are in focus over the D1x. <br>

Thanks guys,<br>

BillDozer</p>

<p>Few professional sports venues will allow "professional" cameras into the stadium and no bags or backpacks. A "professional" camera has interchangeable lenses or a lens more than 4 inches long. Check it out before you have to walk back to the car with your gear. Better yet, buy a DVD of one of their games and watch it at home. One game is just like another.</p>

<p>Jerry renting a D700 is not going to make me happy with the pictures. The whole point is for me to use my OWN cameras to make the pics look good as can be for what I have to work with. I dont have the extra money to rent a fancy camera "HENCE the D80/D1X/Push Pull" to take perfect shots. All I ever read on this FORUM is about how the new D3XS and D700 has great ISO at 98376000. But Jerry thanks for your advice as any comments are welcome to my thread. Dont forget guys some of us only have swap meet equipment that we got off ebay used for cheap.<br>

By the way guys its a very new indoor GYM with great lighting from what I hear.<br>

BillDozer</p>

<p>I agree with Edward that you are highly unlikely to get through the door with a bagful of gear unless you're working and have proper credentials. That said, I would take whichever body you prefer and the 80-200. Anything shorter won't be of much length. Plan on cranking the ISO up to at least 1600. If the place is lit for TV (wheher it's televised or not) you won't need flash. If it's not lit, your SB-600 won't be of any use that far away anyhow. It depends on the venue and the mood of the ticket takers/security guards but even with just the body and one lens, don't be surprised if you get turned away.</p>

<p>The D1x worked out 10x better then the D80. As I just made it through security I hear one of them say hey that lens is to big! So I told my wife to keep walking and not to look back. Then we blended into the crowd and I made it. LOL<br />Here is a link to see a few I shot with the D1x and 80-200mm 2.8 straight from the camera.<br /><a href="http://www.flickr.com/mynikon">www.flickr.com/mynikon</a></p>

<p>Nice shot. <br /><br />To be fair to Jerry, I don't think he was giving the knee-jerk "you need a more expensive piece of equipment" response that is given so often. Having shot lots of middle-school volleyball in dimly lit (think "cave") gyms this year, I can tell you that the D700 makes the difference between having a usable shot or not. The highest acceptable ISO for me on my D200 is 800. On the D700 I can go to 3200 and even 6400.</p>

<p>Contrary to what people said above, he obviously got in with his equipment. Also, contrary to what is said above, by checking the policy at the arena he went to, you find this:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Cameras, video cameras and audio recorders are prohibited when posted for certain events. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>So it event-specific, not arena-specific at the arena he went to. Best to check, and it isn't that hard to do. There's obviously ill-informed advice here.<br /> </p>

<p>Kudos to Bill for making it through unscathed! Nice shots!<br>

Echo Jeff Spirer/Edward Ingold. I had tickets for Celtics vs. Heat. Checked Heat website and it stated no professional cameras. I took my D80/18-200 VR anyway to try the "this is not a professional camera". Didn't work. Their definition of a professional camera was one with interchangeable lenses per Edward's info.<br>

Back to the car, back in line, sat down toward end of 1st quarter. Lesson learned. Call for clarification!!</p>