How to enable CF card UDMA function for 50D

chiny_t

<p>Dear guys<br>

I've just got a Sandisk Extreme CF card for my 50D. Sandisk claims that this card has the UDMA feature, which will help my camera perform faster. However, the question is whether I need to set anything on the card, on my camera, or both, to enable the UDMA function.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>I'd just like to expand on that a bit, in case someone stumbles across this in the future when searching for something similar.</p>

<p>You can pick any CF card (UDMA or not) and any body that uses CF cards (UDMA or not), and the combination will work*; you don't have to set anything to make this happen. The speed you'll get will be whatever the combination of camera and body can support. If the card and body both support UDMA, then UDMA will be used. If one or both don't support UDMA, then UDMA won't be used.</p>

<p>*: I'm assuming that your card's capacity is appropriate for your camera. Some older bodies don't support today's multi-gigabyte cards. But that's not a UDMA issue.</p>

<p>Exactly as Robin says, nothing needed - pure plug-&-play with this combination. UDMA on the 50D is noticeably better (when used with a faster-capable flashcard). I happen to use a Lexar Pro 300x 8GB. Comparative is my 5D, the faster flash card makes zero difference.</p>

<p>Don't overlook download speed into your computer however you connect; various external readers are different in this respect, a clue is price of the reader... the $10 type are slow, in the $25-40 range these units are fast.</p>