70-200 2.8L tripod collar orientation marks

drasulev

<p>Could sound like a silly question and I still hope for some brilliant ideas in replies :)<br>

There is only one orientation mark on 70-200 2.8L tripod collar - for horizontal orientation. When I want to put lens+camera to vertical position, I have to trust my own eyes. Works ok for me but probably there is some good and reliable way to make exact mark on the collar for vertical position too ?<br>

Thanks in advance !</p>

<p>(From the viewfinder side) when you rotate the camera/lens counter-clockwise, there is some real estate on the lens barrel (opposite side from switches) where you could put a piece of tape with a witness mark to line up with the mark on the tripod collar. Or use a Sharpie felt pen to make a witness mark on the barrel itself if you don't mind. Of course, you'll have to decide first when it is exactly 90 degrees out before making the mark.</p>

<p>A bubble level is the best way to know your camera is level. But, since you brought it up, there's probably no good reason why there shouldn't be a mark on the lens for vertical orientation other than maybe nobody thought of it. Now that you've brought it up, I think it's a great idea that would cost nothing to implement.</p>