RAW Image Problem

subhra_das1

<p>Hello All,<br /> I have taken this picture on EOS 500D in RAW format. The problem which I do not understand is when I try to do a level adjustment on this image or any curve adjustment and bit of sharpening, then unacceptable amount of noise pop up in the image. Am I doing something wrong with the camera I am doing adjustments in PS and Lightroom<br /> EXIF<br /> F8<br /> ISO 800<br /> 17-85 IS USM @85.0mm<br /> Manual<br /> 1/200sec<br /> Partial Metering</p>

<p>Can't see the image, but if it's underexposed and you're using a 500D in ISO800, there could be some noise. If you can get away with a bigger aperture like F5.6 and a slower shutter speed without altering what you are trying to accomplish maybe it could be captured at ISO400? That would produce far less noise.</p>

<p>I don't have a 500d , But I'd like to help.<br>

In my understanding, The reason why you have more noise in raw image , Is because the raw converter does not apply as much noise reduction as the the camera Jpeg processor does.<br>

Check out the link below and look at the "Raw vs in- camera JPEG noise reduction low contrast detail comparison" near the bottom of the page.<br>

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/page16.asp</p>

<p>What sharpening levelsmethods are you using. </p>

<p>I had an XTi years ago, and somehow it got bumped up to level 6(out of 7) in pic styles Standard and I didnt know it.<br>

All of my RAW conversions were real grainy. It didnt show in prints, but they were extremely fuzzy on screen. It took some investigation, but as I kept digging in the settings, I found it. The camera jpegs looked great, but the RAWS were way oversharpened. I have found when shooting jpegs, the in camera sharpening needs to be 5 or 6 to match what the RAW file shows on screen in DPP with level 3 set.<br>

I did extensive testing on this to find a jpeg in camera setting I could use to get me similar sharpness results as when I shoot RAW. When I shoot sports ie basketball, its not economical to shoot RAW(400-500 images) which need conversion before going to the office.<br>

So I bump up jpeg sharpening to give me those crisp images I see when opening RAW files in DPP.<br>

But if you leave the sharpening level set that high for RAW conversion, look out!<br>

This is likely the issue. And yes, the in camera jpegs apply more NR than the RAW converter, just play with the settings and remember, sharpen with caution, a little goes a long way.</p>

<p>If you adjust levels and convert RAW to TIFF in DPP using standard noise defaults, you will get much cleaners images than using PS or LR (unless you have a NR plugin like NeatImage). In fact, it will be equal to the in-camera JPEG NR. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter