Had Nikon F4 etc, moving to Leica.. any recommendations?

Here's a nightmare, open ended question... I'm soon heading out to

take the plunge and purchase an M series along with some lenses.

Being completely new to Leica, I still can't follow all the

discussions about lenses with bizarre Russian sounding names, so help

please!

I'll be travelling through China, so I will be taking a lot of

landscape and street photography.

Thus, any advice on a basic system to get me on my way?

I had considered the m6ttl 58 or an m7... lens wise I'm totally lost

with all the unusual names.

Thanks!

Nigel Gregory

I like my 35mm summilux lens, for the all-around versatility. I am comfortable taking scenics, and some inside shots of people due to its speed and width when I am cornered. I think starting with this lens, or one you find as versatile for your shooting (focal length and speed), would be a core decision to base your other lens choices on. Good luck.

Do yourself a favor and make SURE that you like using a RF camera <b>before</B> you go on a trip. Nothing like missing once in a lifetime photos because it takes you 10 minutes to figure out how to get film in the damn thing (a joke to be sure, but a good point).

Nigel, I don't find your question too open. It's a simple query and here's a simple answer. (I too had lots of Nikon stuff like F2, F3, FM, FE, Nikonos) and switched to Leica because I like the mechanical perfection etc.

My suggestion: get an M6 TTL or M7 and -- as a first and/or only lens -- a 2/35 or a 1.4/35. That'll do for a start.

Hi Nigel,

before choosing a body take a break and think wether you prefer a wide-angle set of lenses (28-75mm), a normal set (35-90) or a tele set (50-135). This should lead you to the viewfinder magnification (0.58, 0.72 and 0.85 in respective). Another thing is that if you prefer autoexposure the camera is a M7 (or maybe a Hexar RF). Otherwise a M6 seems to be the camera of choice esp. now that the prices are quite low.

About the 'obscure' lens names: They tell you the max. aperture of the lens, Summilux is 1.4, Summicron is 2.0, Elmarit is 2.8 and Elmar is 4.0 (last 2 may also feature exceptions like the 50 Elmar which is a 2.8 lens). Generally the faster the lens, the more expensive and bigger it is, so if you want a lightweight travel set, a summicron set is usually more than enough. You don't write what lenses you prefer, but usually a 28 or 35/50/90 or a 35/75 set is recommended for travel. When travelling there also is the option of the tri-elmar, a zoom-like 28/35/50mm lens, but this one is quite slow (Elmar = F4.0 as a max aperture). Nevertheless this might fit to your needs.

As Josh said, try the camera before switching, you might find out that rangefinders are not for you. But take your time (and 20+ rolls) to get used to it. And do this before you go to China.

Enjoy your trip - Kai

I think 35 alone would be too limiting for a long trip like that. I would suggest a 90 mm in addition to it. And if you prefer a 50 instead of the 35, then something wider, 24-28 would become handy, and I would prefer the 28 since the framelines are in the body.

If I did what you are doing, to start afresh, I would get 2/35 and 2.8/90 and then later (much later) see what else I might need.

If you shoot slides, M7 would be helpful. Otherwise, or if you prefer mechanical and manual, M6TTL.

What Kai says is true about the meaning of the names, except he omitted to mention 'Noctilux', which has been used for lenses with max. aperture of f/1.2 (old version) and f/1 (current version); and 'Telyt', which is used for some telephoto lenses. There are other names that you might encounter which aren't used any more, such as 'Summaron', 'Summarit', 'Angulon' and 'Curtagon'. <br><br>

What basic system you need depends, as others have said, on your intended use. If I were to start over with Leica M, I think I'd probably still choose what I have now, namely: <br><br>

M6TTL .58, normally used with 28-35-50mm f/4 Tri-Elmar-M <br>

M6TTL .72, normally used with 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M <br>

A 50mm f/1.4 Summilux, for use with either camera in poor light. <br>

This sounds like a trip of a lifetime. Is the Leica the only gear

you'll be taking? If it is, I would take the following:

M6 TTL .072, all mechanical and no reliance on batteries that

you may not be able to get there. Spare batteries. A small light

meter, in case all batteries for the M6 do go flat. A Voitlander

body with a M mount lens converter as a back-up body

(inexpensive). A 28/2.8 , 50/2 and 90/2.8 set of late model

lenses. It's a smaller, lighter set of optics that are more

reasonably priced than the slightly faster versions. Also, check

the used prices for this glass.

Have a great trip you lucky dog.

Before spending alot of money, please rent an M6ttl with ANY

lens and use it. Josh is right! It takes a bit of getting used to as I

learned earlier this year but once you do (if you do) you are

hooked ! As far as lenses, China is too varied and far away to

just depend on one lens. I suggest a 24, 35, and 90 that will

cover just about everything. If you can't buy them outright, try

renting them. Ken Hansen (212 3170923) will either sell or rent

all of the above.

If money is not a problem... just take a M7 so you will not miss to much the electronic helps from the Nikon stuff.

For lens take a Tri Elmar (28/35/50) and if you still have some money left take a Elmarit 2,8/90 for tele. With this you should be all set for general travel purpose.

If you still have money left add a fast lens like a Summilux 35 / 50 mm or the much cheaper alternativ Summicron 35 / 50 for low light situation.

But you should realy follow the advise given by Kai and Josh and try first if you can realy work with the M equipement.

Nigel, unless you have a couple of weeks/months to get use to a Leica/rangefinder, I would hesitate to bring a new system to a 'trip of a lifetime'. A M7, if you could afford it, would be great, specially if you are use to the AE mode. Otherwise a M6TTL. 28/2.8, a summilux 50/1.5 and perhaps a 90/2.8 will take you a long way. and brake the bank...

have a great trip

Just a little addition to Marc's comment: you can use screw mount lenses on bayonet mount bodies via an adaptor, but not the other way around. The Voigtländer bodies in question would be the Bessa T and the Bessa-R2, which have an M mount; on the others (Bessa L and Bessa R), you're limited to screw mount lenses.<p>Regarding lenses, what were your most used focal lengths on the Nikon? Some people find they like the same lengths in SLR and RF systems; however, some don't, and I don't advise "get these or those lenses" as each of us has different preferences.<p>Now I go out of my way: for an easy start, get a Voigtländer Bessa R (or rather, R2 plus LTM to M adapter), a Voigtländer 1:2.5/35mm, and a Voigtländer 1:2.5/75mm or 1:3.5/90mm. Shoot 10 or 20 rolls and find out whether you like it or not. If you do, add your favourite M body and a Leica 35mm or 90mm. IMHO the Voigtländer lenses are pretty close to Leica optics, and you shouldn't spend more than absolutely necessary on gear with a once-in-a-lifetime trip ahead.<br>If you're certain you like rangefinders: used Leica M6TTL 0.72, Voigtländer Bessa R2, Voigtländer 1:4/21mm + adapter, Voigtländer 1:2.5/35mm + adapter, Leica 1:2.8/90mm, the usual accessories, plenty of film, and a briefcase with padded inserts to carry it. This kit is a compromise of economy and versatility with the emphasis on versatility.

Hello Nigel:

I also very recently switched to Leica from SLRs (Contax AF and Nikon). I personally bought a M7 (arm and a leg but the ease of use is important for a beginner like me). I have the 30 summicron (2.0) asph and the 90 2.8 - two lenses which are of the more affordable (its all relative) of the newer M lenses, but which I have personally found to be excellent - even against some of the better zeiss which I have had the chance to own. The 35 - 90 combo (for a start) seems to be versatile enough IMHO for most tasks.

As important, despite my admitted case of equipment purchase addition I have in truth been very satisfied with my lens selections (this does not mean I do not ocassionally feel that I absolutely "need" the 35 summilux (1.4) or a noctilux or a ....).

Possible permutations - the excellent 50 summicron instead of either lens (would also be cheaper than the 35 cron) or the equally excellent 35 summilux instead of the 35 cron (I sometimes wish for this looking back) but this would actually cost you more.

In any event, as a fellow Leica newbie - welcome. For what its worth, I have not regretted my move to Leica even once since making the switch.

Stephane

If you are passing through Hong Kong you cannot pass up the opportunity to buy your Leica there at Hong Kong prices with the usual caveat emptor in dealing with HK dealers. Search photo.net for names of reliable HK dealers. What's the policy on warranty? I think a product purchased as a tourist is covered by your national distributor. Call up your Leica distributor just to be sure.

Meanwhile, rent or borrow to gain familiarity with the M6 or M7 before you depart.