5DII, image overlay or double exposure ?

ronald_olsen

<p>Hi, I am new to the the Canon EOS system, having bought a 5DII in October. It replaces my Nikon D2x for night architectural-type photos using large studio flash on location. For very large subjects, I often need to make multiple exposures, and combining them in-camera was a very useful way to make sure everything had been lit up properly, before packing up all the equipment for the night. The D2x had a feature called "Image Overlay" that would allow you to do this. I have been looking through the Canon 5DII manual, and cannot find the instructions for this function. I thought perhaps that Canon used different nomenclature than Nikon for this feature, but then when I looked up "double exposure" in the index, I couldn't find that either. Surely, this is a generic photographic term, isn't it ? Is the Canon able to do this or not ? Thanks in advance for any advice.</p>

<p>No "Image Overlay" or "Double Exposure" modes in the 5DII or any of the Canon DSLR's that I know of. Like Angel mentioned above that is more easily done in Photoshop anyway. <br>

I didn't think any new cameras let alone a DSLR had that feature. I was kind of surprised to see an article on Joe McNally where he recently used that feature with his Nikon camera to do a double image in camera. It was the one where he did the double image of the Neanderthal woman and the modern woman for National Geographic. </p>

<p>Thanks to all for your responses. Last night I made a photo in harsh conditions ( -29 C and lots of wind ) and one of my flashes didn't fire. Image Overlay would again have been useful. I made some more exposures on the dark areas to complete the shot. Yes, of course I do Photoshopping later to combine them, but doing an overlay on-site is a quick and dirty way to tell if you've got everything covered, before you pack up for the night and go home.<br>

<br />The image quality of the 5DII is excellent, for landscape-type shots, where you have time to set up it is better than the D2x, and I use it as the main camera for my project. The lack of noise at higher ISO's, the increased resolution, and the Live View make it a great tool to have. I find that the D2x is a far more nimble camera for daylight shooting, however. I've missed many shots with the 5DII due to the aperture wheel on the back getting turned accidently. I only use it now when I can set it up on a tripod. </p>