Preparing for my first BIG job

mirzaphotography

<p>Hey all,<br>

You guys have been so super helpful with all your answers in my previous posts, so I knew where to turn to in order to avoid an anxiety attack :)<br>

<br /> I have worked a handful of weddings that would be considered small scale, and my portfolio has finally caught someone's eye for a big wedding. I want to throw my mental checklist at you guys and you guys let me know where I'm lacking.</p>

<p><strong>Bodies:</strong> <br /> Two D300s<br /> With 1 spare battery each<br>

<strong>Lenses:</strong> <br /> 50/1.8<br /> 18-200<br>

<strong>Lens Rental options:</strong> <br /> 12-24 2.8 / 17-55 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 VR<em><br /> Undecided between getting the 12-24 or the 17-55... anyone wanna make a good case for either?</em><br>

<strong>Media:<br /> </strong> CF Primary slot, SD Backup slot<br /> <em>Any suggestions for CF cards?</em> <strong><br /> </strong><br>

<strong>Case:<br /> </strong> Lowepro Stealth D300AW<br>

<strong>Strobe:</strong> <br /> 1 - SB-600<br>

<strong>Other equipment:</strong> <br /> 1 - light stand<br /> 1 - silver bounce umbrella<br /> 1 - standard tripod<br>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------<br>

The event will take place in a catholic church, wedding hall and some pre-ceremony shots in a restaurant where the couple met.<br>

There's the list folks... what do you think of my setup? Please suggest where you feel that I'm lacking and how to improve upon it.<br>

Thank you!<br /> Bill</p>

<p>17-55mm if you had to choose between the two. I'd be renting some wide aperture tele primes like the 85mm f1.8.</p>

<p>You need a back up flash. The pop up makes a poor flash option should your main flash go down. Also lots of AA NiMh batteries for the flash.</p>

<p>I use only Sandisk Extreme cards. Whatever you choose, make sure they are genuine and stick to it.</p>

<p>Otherwise, hard to say wihout knowing more details.</p>

<p>You say nothing about what <em><strong>mental </strong> </em> preparations you are doing. The gear is just so much junk, until you create something with it....and that is a mental and emotional process. Of course you cannot forsee everything.....but you can actually pre-visualise a remarkable amount of situational imagery which you can use at the event itself.</p>

<p>Most poor results in social events that I have seen are almost <strong>never</strong> equipment problems at all....but poor mental preparation likely tops the list....Regards, Robert</p>

<p>Agree with Nadine 100% about the flash. The pop up flash seems horrible once your used to using the other ones.<br>

We usually take along back up rechargeable AA's and our 15 min charger because between 2 flashes and a 8-12 hour wedding, we got through a lot of batteries. <br>

<br /> We use 8GB Sandisk Extreme cards, and have 8 cards total. Look for sales, we got a good deal at http://www.adorama.com/.</p>

<p>I use a 17-55mm 90% of the time when I shoot weddings. So I would suggest that if you were to rent one. </p>

<p>The 12-24mm would make some cool shots, but I don't think you would use it very much.</p>

<p>The 70-200mm might come in handy at the church, depending on the rules. You may want to find out about using flash, how close you can be, can you move during the ceremony.</p>

<p>Catholic Churches are so pretty, but we've done a few now, and they are always the hardest (I think), and usually have the most rules. So definitely call or go and ask the priest the guidelines, that can add into your thoughts.</p>

<p>The last one we did, we had to stay behind EVERY guest (and of course, they scatter, and some sat all the way in the back). We couldn't move during the ceremony, and we couldn't use flash. We were really happy for wide apertures and zoom lenses. </p>

<p>~Tina</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Exposure check the church and find out if flash is permitted. You have to be ready for the moving subjects of the processional, which is possibly one of the most equipment-demanding parts of any wedding. I find myself at ISO3200 with f/1.4 lenses just to get shutter speeds fast enough to prevent motion blur most of the time.</p>

<p>I'm not going to comment on the other preparations you should be making, but I agree with what the other posters have said.</p>

<p>I'll simply say that like you, I shoot with a pair of D300's (that's plural, not the 's' models), and the 17-55 is my workhorse lens. I have the other "staples" (50 f/1.4, and the 70-200 f/2.8), but I'd say at least 80% of my photos are taken with the 17-55. It's a fantastic lens on that body, and you should definitely get it.</p>

<p>Forget about the off-camera flash stuff, but I'd recommend a sturdy tripod for the formals, and possibly some shots at the reception.</p>

Talk to the bride and groom. Get a list from them regarding must have shots. Add that to your list, if you have one. Nothing worse that fogetting to shoot a needed photo such as the mother or something. I've heard of very experienced photographers actually forgetting to take bridal portraits. Seems like a no brainer, but it happens. Check your list often.

Bob Cossar has a good point about keeping your thoughts together and have a mental image of the days activities.

As far as gear goes maybe buy an SB 800 or 900. They have a bit more power. I would say to use the 18-200mm as a backup only. It's a pretty slow lens.

<p>Flash bracket and a SB-800 (or SB-900) speedlight, and two cords [one backup] to connect the speedlight to the camera body. The SB-600 is good but not as good as a SB-800 or SB-900. Do you have a plan for the unexpected, i.e., the SB-600 overheats, during the event? Like seatbelts, a second speedlight is a generally accepted good idea.</p>

<p>Do you plan on 'bouncing the SB-600' into the umbrella for the entire wedding party shots?</p>

<p> </p>