How to... birds + 7D review

winniv

<p><strong>Last weekend I went 'birding'. I had lots of fun with my new 7D and 100-400mm lens.<br />I'll post my pictures on photo.net soon. I dont want to refer to another site out of this forum.<br />A bit after the fact, but still curious to hear from the pros about how to best take a shot of Birds of Prey. What settings do you use? (not interested in ballheads, I was on a boat)<br /></strong><br />After comparing all the tests, I found that the 7D <em>had</em> to be just marginally better than the xxD series. I don't know how come, but those statistics don't tell the whole story, as some already suggested.<br /><br /><em>Experience</em>: The camera is just such a pleasure to use. Super responsive, great Autofocus, easy to manage the AF point selection with the joystick (sorry, Multi-Controller). I was always struggling with that on my 40D. I dont know why this doesnt really show in the tests, but it's just so much better.<br />With the Autofocus, I also enjoy the larger viewfinder and new focusing screen.<br /><em>Power</em>. Then of course, the 18MP are good for cropping when those birds are STILL small with your 400mm lens. And the 8FPS help in catching that defining shot. Obvious, but still noteworthy.<br /><em>Battery Life</em>. After shooting a whole day, I still had 60% left. Amazing. <br /><em>Sensitivity</em>: I know that I could easily notice the noise from my 40D when I went above 800. The 7D never reminds you of it. You can easily leave it at auto-ISO, it will give you very clean pictures taken at ISO 1600 or even 3200. I'm sure that is different when you shoot commercially. But I don't, so I found that this greatly increases my flexibility to shoot at faster shutter times.<br /><em>On the eye</em>: The already mentioned larger viewfinder is so accurate, that I found myself not checking the LCD anymore. I <em>knew </em>that that picture was a keeper, or that it wasn't. I'd seen it clearly. With the 40D, not only did I always check on the LCD, but it would still happen that I had a disappointing experience once I saw it on the PC screen at home, because the LCD didnt provide enough information. For those that don't have a 50D, 5DII or 7D already: the LCD screen alone is worth upgrading.<br />All in all, this camera conveys much more confidence and responsiveness, than the xxD series ever did. Not that those are bad cameras. My 40D is staying as a second body, and Im sure I'll continue to make pretty pictures with it.<br />I hope this will help those who are doubting whether to buy the 7D. I agree with most on the forums that it is the photographer that defines the quality of the output. But many of us also enjoy managing the cameras, this camera will add to that pleasure.</p>

<p>You'll find lots of specific advice about bird photgraphy at:<br>

<a href="http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/index.php">http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/index.php</a><br>

There's lots to read there and then I suggest that you post some of your best to the "Eager to Learn" Forum to receive specific advice.</p>

<p>BTW, I use the 7D for bird, nature and sports photography and find it great. I didn't understand why you felt a need to comment on it, or whether there was a question in there that I missed.</p>

<p>I guess I have to agree about the excellence of the 7D. IME it's one of the two or three best dslr for nature, birds and action photography. That's why I own one. The people dissing it seem to want something else from their dslr. I think the most important issue is how good is it for its intended use vs. the options. I know of no other dslr with the capabilities of the 7D for less money. If it doesn't fit a potential buyer's priorities, then they should buy something else. Canon will survive and I'll continue to be perfectly happy with mine.</p>