Cleaning Recommendations/ Solutions/ Formulas?

marko_matic

<p>I wanted to know what is the recommendation by users (chemical formulas, products and cleaning methodology) when it comes to cleaning Nikon camera and lens surfaces. There is a multituted of products and methodologies out on the internet and I want to make sure I am using the right one. The following surfaces is what I would like to clean:</p>

1.1 Exterior of Camera

1.2 Camera LCD

1.3 Camera Sensor

1.4 Lens Exterior

1.5 Lens elements (Front & Back)

1.6 Filter surfaces (Front & Back)

<p>1.1 A microfiber cloth. 1.2 A microfiber cloth with a small amount of LCD screen cleaner if necessary. 1.3 Rocket Blower followed by SensorKlear if needed. If wet cleaning is required, Sensor Swab and Eclipse fluid. 1.4 A microfiber cloth (the same one used for the body). 1.5 & 1.6 A microfiber cloth (NOT the same one used for the body) with pure distilled water. (Breathe on the lens, then wipe.) If you are in a sandy, gritty environment, use the Rocket Blower or canned CO2 before wiping.</p>

<p>For lenses and filters other than the new Hoya HMC filters I use a drop of <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Photographic-Solutions-ECDCS-Cleaning-Solution/dp/B0000AUR1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263771829&sr=8-1">Eclipse cleaning system solution</a> and 100% pure cotton buds followed by hot breath and a wipe with a microfiber cloth. For cleaning the new Hoya HMC filters, I use hot breath followed by a wipe with a microfiber cloth. If the Hoya HMC filter needs further cleaning, I wash it in warm soapy water followed by a rinse and then dried with a cotton bud followed by hot breath and a wipe with a microfiber cloth.</p>

<p>For camera sensors, I use Eclipse solution and <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Swab-Type-Box-12/dp/B0001HMFIC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263772455&sr=1-5">Sensor Swabs</a> following the video directions at <a href="http://www.photosol.com/">Photographic Solutions</a>.</p>

<p>I use a Giotto rocket blower for general dust removal, Lens Clens 1 with lens paper for glass elements (lens, filters, LCD screen, etc.), Arctic Butterfly 724 for dry sensor cleaning and Visible Dust swabs for wet cleaning. For the outside, I generally use a damp cotton cloth.<br>

I decided to try Lens Clens based on some videos Moose Peterson posted on his blog about taking care of his gear (<a href="http://moosepeterson.com/blog/?cat=114">http://moosepeterson.com/blog/?cat=114</a> ), it works really well. My daughter got some sort of greasy smudge on the front element of my 70-200 2.8 and it was completely gone with 2 cleaning passes (first one got rid of 95%+ of it and the second took care of the rest). It only took 2 drops per pass too.<br>

--Wade</p>

<p>Marko, I shoot in the dirt so for the outside of the cameras I use one drop of dawn dish soap to a dixie cup of hot water, dip 3 Q-tips in the water and squeeze out the excess with your fingers, scrub a small area and then follow with dry ones. It takes a long time but it cleans the outside well.<br>

Inside it's Cooper Hill product.<br>

Lens, filters and glass I use Peca Products and some lens tissue.<br>

If it's just the filter or lens while it's on the camera, I use a soft lens cloth that I picked up at the eye doctor.</p>

<p>To clean the glass optics, i use the same solution as for cleaning my telescope optics and mirrors.<br />pure distilled water. I use either lint free cloth or cottonwool balls. and follow the same procedure on each optical surface.<br>

Blow off as much debris as you can.<br />wet the cottonwool ball and then wipe ONCE across the optical surface.<br />Replete until the optics are clean.<br>

If there are smears that wont shift with distilled water I use a solution as follows. <br>

mix distilled water 80% and pure isopropohol alcohol 20% (you will need to add ONE drop of washing up liquid, shake it to mix). Just make 1 litre of this, and use it when you have to. <br>

and then clean the optics. Rince with distilled water. <br /><br />Decant a small amount into a little squirty bottle and keep it with you in your bag.<br />works wonders, even on the lcd displays<br>

As for the body.<br /><br />Exactly the same solution.<br /><br />Mac. </p>

<p>There might be different sensors CCD & CMOS, but you not actually cleaning the sensor!!<br />You are cleaning the optical glass above the sensor. <br>

There is a small piece of optical glass over the top of the sensor itself. This is there to block all wavelength above UV and below IR, as all sensors are sensitive to this, so it doesn't really matter which solution you use. Only that it is not that strong, so clean with caution and dont use too much pressure.<br /><br />Mac. </p>

<p>It may be a little compulsive, but you can get optical quality cotton swabs from Edmund Scientific, and they are not expensive. I do scientific fieldwork in places where you have to watch baggage weight limits, and I usually carry a very small bottle of generic lens cleaner for filters and lenses (you don't need much). For camera surfaces, I have found that a bottle of vodka can usually be obtained locally, it works well for cleaning the cameras, and you can drink whatever you don't need for equipment maintenance...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have found that a bottle of vodka can usually be obtained locally</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Correct! Vodka cleans many things well. As does diluted vinegar, which is also found pretty easily.</p>

<p>Don't underestimate the power of alcohol and acid. They clean well, are cheap, and aren't necessarily backed by a large marketing department telling you what you have to use to clean your plastic.</p>

<p>If it's me, and there's some dirt on my camera body, I use some spit and my shirt.</p>