580EX II Triggered Wireless By Camera?

j. caputo

<p>I have the Canon 580EX II with a Canon 5D body. I was wondering if there is anyway to trigger my 580 without any cord or additional triggers such as pocket wizard or additional slave. Can this be done with the standard functions provided with the camera and flash?</p>

<p>It cannot be done just with the standard functions provided with camera and flash.<br>

If you want full E-TTL triggering then the ST-E2, some of the Pocket Wizards and the RadioPoppers (www.radiopopper.com) can do this. ST-E2 is substantially line of site and close range whereas the others allow a longer range.<br>

If you don't need E-TTL and second curtain sync then there are whole lot more cheaper wireless triggers available. A starting point for comparison of these could be: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=t-QpLCtL7gZd2YUq04qwMUw&gid=0<br>

and<br>

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157622703555454/</p>

<p>In regards to retaining eTTL metering:<br /> The 7D does it with the pop-up flash, which the 5D and 5DII don't have.<br /> The ST-E2, 580EX(I or II) or the 550EX is what Canon would want you to buy to retain eTTL.<br /> The newest Pocket Wizards have had problems with 580EXIIs and 5Ds. They may have improved things by now but make sure before you buy into it.<br /> Radio Poppers require an already existing wireless system in place, it just makes it work better.</p>

<p>For non-metered flash you can use any number of radio triggers. Cybersyncs are rather popular and are much cheaper than their PW equivalent. I use Skyports myself and they work fine.<br /> Just keep in mind that you'll have to meter for the lights yourself. It's not rocket science.</p>

<p>If you had a 7D then you would be in business but there are no options for the 5D other than to purchase an ST-E2 as Scott mentioned above or add another wireless compatible EX flash and trigger it with the 580EXII.</p>

<p>The Pocket Wizards or Radio Poppers mentioned above would not work with the 5D without the adddition of another EX Speedlite to work with. The 5DmII and a Pocket Wizard Mini TT1 in combination with a PW FlexTT5 transceiver could be used for wireless without the use of an additional Speedlite but not the 5D.</p>

<p>It looks like you're going to need to spend at least $200-250 (not withstanding cheap radio triggers) to pull of what you want to do.</p>