Ries Tripod Warping - How common?

marike1

<p>

<p>Have an Ries tripod users experienced extreme warping? I just bought a Ries J100 tripod in 9+ condition and when I received it today, I noticed that one of the bottom leg sections is badly warped. I contacted Ries to see what I can do, and they will sell me a new leg. </p>

<p>I'm interested to know if this is a common occurrence. If so, maybe I'll just return it and invest in the largest size of the Feisol tripod that I know use, or a Gitzo. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments. </p>

</p><div>00VVKX-209979584.jpg.0c9a010e7d96629d0cd3f4c283a70bd2.jpg</div>

<p>Wood will warp if it has pressure on it for an extended time, and especially in a warm humid environment or through wide temperature changes. So if someone carried it in a car with the leg(s) extended and a pack, or case on it or leaning against it, I would expect it to warp.<br>

Cheers, Steve</p>

<p>Eric, I think I am like you in that it will bug me forever. (I had a Schneider Symmar-S that made the sharpest, most beautiful images. But it had a touch of "Schneideritis", so I couldn't stand looking at it). <br>

However, Ries is going to sell me a new leg section for $45, so it is worth it to me to keep it. I'm not sure why it was listed in 9+ condition where I bought it, but it really is like new. As long as you don't look at the bottom of one leg, that is. </p>

<p>The Ries J100 will probably will be overkill for my Chamonix 45n-1 (I'll know next week when I receive the camera), but I plan to add a 5x7 or a lightweight 8x10 in the near future, so I'm gonna hold on to it. It <em>is</em> a beauty. Thanks everyone. </p>

<p>You could also just get the hardware from Ries - I did that and made a set of legs from dowels - I wanted a leg section that was longer than the standard size. As I recall it was not very much for the spike ends and rubber tips - something like $40 for a set of three. The design of the head is what sets Ries apart from other wood tripods, as long as the leg sections move and lock up a slight bend should not be a problem.<br>

Be aware that the Fiesol legs have preset angle stops - The Fiesol I owned (and sold) had three - none of which I found correct for the camera I was using ( a 5x7 field camera) and my height. It was either top heavy and unstable with the narrow leg spread, too low at the medium setting, and the wide setting was almost at ground level. With the Ries, each leg angle can be set and locked. I also did not like the Fiesol leg locks - I much prefer the Ries knobs to the twist locks on the Fiesol.</p>