Sell my T1i to buy a 5D (Mark I)?

zalmy_berkowitz

<p>I just recently bought my first slr (Canon Rebel T1i) and am absolutely amazed at what a real photogragh looks like. Since then I picked up the 50mm f1.8 and the 100mm f2.8 Macro (399 used from lensrental.com). I'm looking to get into mostly portrait work, and maybe some event work. <br>

Why I want to switch to the 5D:<br>

I am constantly cranking up the iso to get clean (non-blurry) indoor shots. Anything above 400 comes out decent but not great. <br>

I want to buy some wide angle lens and the only option for me now is the 10-22 which I hear has good review, however I'm not so fond of it's relatively small aperture. <br>

I enjoy the video but it's not a deal breaker<br>

I found a used 5D in good condition for $900. I could sell the t1 for around 600-650 (or with the 50mm 1.8 as I want to upgrade to the 1.4, for $675-725) and I'll end up upgrading to the 5D for 300 bux. <br>

I'm not the fondest of the small viewfinder in the Rebel<br>

Why maybe it's not the best deal:<br>

15 mp vs 12.8 (though from what I know the difference is neglible)<br>

I'm not sure how the AF compares on the two<br>

I have a warranteed camera and will be switching it for a used (though looks and works great) camera.<br>

What say you?</p>

<p>If you have acute gear-mania there is no cure.<br>

And nobody is going to tell you the 5D is not the better camera.</p>

<p>You on the other hand are trying so hard to convince yourself the Rebel is no good. You are the first person for whom categorically shots "above 400 comes out decent but not great" with this camera. If you want bigger aperture on the wa lens there are other options, you just need to look. You'll get a bigger viewfinder, yes, but you'll loose the dust buster. With all due respect, none of these points is very convincing. (Unless of course for someone with gear-mania ...)</p>

<p>Fact is you have only "recently" bought this camera and before giving it half a chance, you're thinking about upgrading. Your pictures are not automatically going to be better. Why not learn this tool first, what might you be missing out on? A year from now the 5D will be cheaper again and so will the 5DII and the 7D etc. But then you will know whether and why exactly you might need one or the other.</p>

<p>the full frame sensor of the 5D is designed to get the most out of premium lenses and magnifies flaws in inferior glass. You should get a good lens set first. A couple L zooms and some primes, then think about going full frame. Also, get an external flash and learn how to use it and bounce it. This will allow you to use lower ISOs, get less noise, and make better photos. The body is the least influencial factor of all camera equipment in producing a good photo.</p>

<p>When I said "above 400" I meant "800 and up", and I'm surprised that I'm the only one that thinks that shots at 800 and above are "decent but not great" <br>

It probably is gear-mania and I'm trying to rationalize it. Though next on my list (after mentioning gear-mania this sounds sort of maniacal) is the 17-55 to replace my kit lens which is not very useful in low lighting (3.5-5.6 aperture), no full time manual focus and all around not that great (though it's not that bad either). That's why I'm looking now into the 5D, because once I buy the 17-55, I can't upgrade to a full frame to soon...<br>

Also I didn't know how important the dust buster was (in fact I still don't).</p>

<p>Probably gear-mania. but still...</p>

<p>I'll say it again, the body is the last thing you should upgrade. Getting more and better lenses will open up more possibilities than a new body. Also, when people say a camera performs well at high ISO, you have to realize that this is all relative. Of course ISO 800 won't compare to 100, and you probably wouldn't make a 16x24 print of a shot at ISO 800, but compared to film and how digital cameras handled noise a few years ago, we've come a long way. There are also other ways of fixing this, like noise reduction in photoshop. A flash would be indispensible, you could use ISO 400, 200, or even 100 indoors with a flash and get a lot cleaner photo. Also, if you learn how to manipulate light you can make some very striking images.</p>

<p>Also, if you want wide angle on a 5D, your options are 17-40mm f/4 L, which has about the same size aperture as the 10-22mm. If you want something with a wider aperture its the 16-35mm f/2.8 L which is over $1000 or the 14mm prime that is about $2000. I'd say, get the 10-22mm for the rebel if you want it and a good midrange zoom like the 17-55mm or the 17-85mm.</p>

<p>Thanks Nathan. I think I'll stick with the Rebel, get a flash (any ideas which? 270, 430, 580?), buy the ef-s lenses, and if I ever want to upgrade to a FF -- I assume by then I would have made back the money I spent on the lenses (or else why would I be upgrading other than the fore-mentioned gear-mania) -- I could sell the lens...<br>

Thanks again y'all.</p>

<p>everyone says not to get EF-S lenses because they won't go FF and we don't know how much longer they'll be used, but with the recent launch of the 7D, I'd say they're safe for awhile and both the 10-22mm and 17-55mm hold their value quite well. I actually sold a 10-22mm for $60 more than I bought it 6 months before. I'm not an expert in those flashes, but the 430ex and 580ex are raved about. Look on ebay, their used prices aren't that much different; I'd go all out and get the 580ex if its not much more than the 430, but either will be amazing.</p>

<p>I went from a 450D to a 7D, even though I am not sure it has improved my photography, and in normal lighting situations there isn't really that much difference in IQ, I really do like the new body and it feels inspiring to go out and shoot again. Especially with the differences in ISO performance.<br /> Thing is, with APS-C lenses, you can get sharp quality because they are easier to make sharp (since you won't see what's in the edges). To get the same performance out of a fullframe like you would get from, let's say, the canon 15-85 or 17-55 EF-S lenses you would have to put up ALOT of cash. But on the other hand, if it's really the wide angle you're after then I guess FF is your only choice.</p>

<p>About the flashes, check out the Nissin Di866. They have been working good for me, and alot of people I know - when used with canon (together with Nikon CLS there seems to be some minor issues). They can do just about everything the 580exII can, including wireless ttl, highspeed and stuff like that, and you can basically buy two of them for the price of one 580exII.</p>

"I'm looking to get into mostly portrait work, and maybe some event work. "

<p>In the short term, I would continue to use what you've got. I use my 50 f/1.8 on my XTi and on my 5D2. Great lens, 'cheapness' notwithstanding.

<p>If you are sure you plan to go full frame, then I would say plan your lens acquisitions around that.

<p>The advantages of the 5D are that a full frame sensor: Inherently allows you to achieve a shallower depth of field. Bob Atkins (right here on PN) has plenty pf literature on that. The 5D also performs very well at high ISO. I don't know much at all about the T1i, but I reckon it's no slouch either, in the noise control department. AF is not an issue for portraits, and indeed even for low light, I would think. If you want a fast wide lens, then most of your options will be pricey. The MP factor is basically a non-issue.

<p>But before you do any buying, how about you shoot with what you've got for a while and figure out what you need. Often the mastery of technique pays off much more handsomely than the acquisition of equipment :]

<p>As Nathan has pointed out, WA on FF gets very expensive quickly. If you want/ need a fast WA look at the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. It is slightly heavier than the 10-22mm f/4 Canon, superior build though. Personally I find there are not that many situations than call for WA <em>and </em> fast glass and preferred less weight, but then YMMV.</p>

<p>I really think sticking it out with the Rebel is a very good idea - just ignore the "cheap toy" machismo talk. Re flash I'd get the most powerful you can afford. You will mostly use it bouncing off of something, which obviously makes it loose a lot of power on the way. Also, to keep all your options of controlling potnetial further flashes, get one with the ability to act as master. I think that only leaves the 580EX. And finally that one provides a focus light much preferable to the strobe of the internal flash. Again much of this depends on what your preferred subjects are and you'll know more about this and be able to make more informed decisions further down the road.</p>

<p>Keep the T1i and get the Canon 17-55. It's the best lens made for that camera and will serve you well. It holds it's value better than any lens I've seen so you can sell it later when and if you decide to go full frame. If you don't have the $$ for that lens, you might try the new Tamron 17-50 VR, but I doubt it will hold it's value as well.</p>

<p>You won't be happy with a 5dMI because it just doesn't have the bells and whistles the T1i does. As the others have said, learn how to use what you have.</p>

<p>M. Scott Clay</p>