do the e-420/e-450 really slide into a jacket pocket?

kaio1

<p>Hi,<br>

i'm looking for a good camera to carry around in my jacket pocket. having been a dslr user for several years, i can't bear to return to a point and shoot as i like holding my camera up to my eye and don't like shutter lag. <br>

the e-420 or e-450 seem to be the answer to my needs but i just wanted to know if you can comfortably fit them in a jacket pocket with a 25mm lens. I don't mean that they should be invisible, but only reasonably unobtrusive. (i've tried to go around stores in london, to see for myself, but they hardly ever stock olympus, and when they do, they never have the 25mm.).<br>

if the olys are too obtrusive then i'll be forced to go for a g11, but i am desperately hoping not to.<br>

any feedback much apprecated,<br>

Thanks, <br>

Kaio.</p>

<p>Why not a Panasonic GF1 or Oly E-P2? They seem the perfect camera for your application. But, if you can get hold of a Oly E-4xx body see if it fits in your pocket. Because of the overhang on the pentamirror housing the pancake adds very little to the overall dimensions of the combination.</p>

<p>Owing to the mirror box and long flange back (about 38mm), 4/3 cameras (even Oly E-420 with the pancake 25mm lens) are not that much "thinner" than entry level APS-C size DSLRs (Pentax K-x with the pancake 21mm lens, for example). The difference should be around 1.5cm. The grip doesn't make any difference because it is the front edge of the pancake lens that comes to the very front of the camera/lens combo. </p>

<p>FWIW, My Panasonic G1 (its articulating LCD makes the body thicker than a m4/3 camera is supposed to be) and 20/1.7 lens combo is about 8.5cm thick (from the end of the EVF eyepiece to the front edge of the lens without filter and cap) which should be almost the same as that of E-420/25mm combo.</p>

<p>GF-1 or E-P1/2 and 20/1.7 or 17/2.8 combo is indeed small, but obviously you cannot shoot in the "camera up to your eye" style wihtout their additional EVF units. That said, I would think E-P2 with the additional EVF and 17/2.8 is the most "pocketable" combo, although AF speed is not as fast as Panasonic body/lens combos.</p>

<p>Perhaps a Panasonic G1 might be suitable as well. My own preference is to hold the camera to my eye so I prefer the built-in viewfinder of the G1. Once you add one of the external viewfinders to any of the range finder style µ43 cameras any size advantage is lost and they appear susceptible to damage if you are regularly pulling the camera in and out of a coat pocket.</p>

<p>Bill, I understand your concern about the external EVF, but the one for E-P2 feels fairly solid and just a little care should solve the problem.</p>

<p>Having used G1 and 20/1.7 combo for a couple of months, I, for one, would not call it "pocketable", although I'm extremely fond of it.</p>

<p>thanks a lot everyone. but most of the combinations suggested are way beyond my budget. the ep-420+lens is available for around £420 but all these other ones easily cross the £600 barrier. (just upgraded from my old nikon d70s to a d90 and threw in an 18-200 lens too :-) . so i really need to be as frugal as possible)<br>

any specific views on the pocketability of the e-4xx?</p>

<p>thanks a lot everyone. but most of the combinations suggested are way beyond my budget. the ep-420+lens is available for around £420 but all these other ones easily cross the £600 barrier. (just upgraded from my old nikon d70s to a d90 and threw in an 18-200 lens too :-) . so i really need to be as frugal as possible)<br>

any specific views on the pocketability of the e-4xx?</p>

<p>Hello</p>

<p>almost every supermarket should have a 420 so why not go and see? Pop the lens off and leave the body cap on and you'll get an idea of how the 25mm pancake will feel on it.</p>

<p>I bought one for my father in law, the grip is less obvious than the G1 (meaning its slim) and really they aren't fat ... but pocketable? ... as you will find millions of hits for on this exact question, <strong>not really</strong> . But they are very compact.</p>

<p>It is a sweet little camera and you can plug on other lenses easily</p>

I have an E-410. I tried it in a light wind breaker without a lens, I don't have the lens you asked about, and yes, it is "pocketable" but not very comfortable. I wouldn't want to carry it around in that jacket. I have jackets with larger pockets that would be better to carry it in. So, it depends on how big the pockets are in your jacket as to how feasible it is to carry the 420 that way.