PS CS4 mouse problem

<p>I have been using Photoshop CS4 in my Windows 7 64bit PC for a couple of weeks now. I have encountered one problem with the mouse and I wonder if anyone else have seen it. I'm not sure if the problem is in CS4 or is it in the mouse driver.<br>

Occasionally CS4 seems to loose track of mouse coordinates and paints to totally random location in the image. Let's say that I'm painting over a mask on some effect layer - the painting brush cursor behaves normally, but at some point the painting starts to appear in a location that is nowhere near the cursor in some totally unpredictable location. Cursor does not move erratically - just the location of paint effect is wrong.<br>

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any ideas what might be causing it. I could not find with Google any info that might be related to this.</p>

<p>When I first tried W7 Beta, I was using an old Gt6600. This is from the old-school mind set that video cards don't matter for Photoshop. With CS4, I then upgraded slightly from the 6600 to a 9400GT. With this, I noticed a great improvement in overall computer speed and especially in CS4. I recently took it a step further and went with a 4870. Each step with the newer cards brought greater performance to the computer and CS4.</p>

<p>I'm using W7 64-bit with 8 gigs of ram.</p>

<p>Thanks for the good ideas. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT. I assume it should be recent enough to handle CS4. Driver is dated 14-May-2009 and I could not find more recent 64bit W7 driver from the net.<br /> Well, maybe I need to wait untill they release a new driver for 9800GT and give that a shot. Luckily this problem does not happen so often that it would make CS4 unusable - it is mostly an annoyance.<br /> Update a few minutes later:<br /> Windows "Update Driver" -function was able to find an updated driver - dated 27-Sep-2009. I installed it a minute ago. Lets see if that makes a difference.</p>

<p>Given that your video card and drivers are reasonably current, I'm leaning toward a mouse driver issue. The mouse driver is what ties mouse tracking to PS via the OS. Besides being out of date, drivers can go corrupt. Updating could solve either problem. Instead of using the "search for a new driver" feature, I would go to the mouse manufacturer site and download the latest. If it turns out you already have latest, I would uninstall and reinstall the downloaded mouse drivers to eliminate possible driver corruption.</p>

• 2 weeks later...