AF-D lenses do not work on D300S

leo_laksi

<p>A couple of weeks ago I bought a D300S as a backup for an upcoming trip. I have owned a D700 for about a year and have never had a problem with my AF-D lenses. Today I mounted my 85mm f/1.4 lens on the 300S. To my surprise, I could not adjust the f-stop with the command wheel. (I can manually adjust the f-stop and the change is displayed.) I tried my 16mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/2 and had the same problem. I checked each lens on my D700 with no problem. I had used the 85mm f/1.4 on the D300S a week ago and it did work without any problems. <br>

I also rechecked my G lenses today and they are fine. I then restored the D300s to its original settings and that did not make a difference.<br>

I've searched the web and user's manual for a solution and could not find one.<br>

I did upgrade the firmware the other day and could not help by think that perhaps there is some connection. <br>

Sorry if there's an answer already posted on Photonet. I couldn't find it.</p>

<p>Leo</p>

<p> </p>

<p>That is something new for me! I shot with the D200, D300 and now the D700. As you say, no problems with the D700 with AF-D lenses and in my case also no problems with the D200 and D300.</p>

<p>Now thinking about it; I know someone with a 35mm AF-D and 85mm AF-D on a D300s and no issues. I almost feel it has more to do with your specific body than with the D300s in general. You'd also find much more info on the web if it were a common issue!</p>

<p>But... Why did you ever go from your D700 to a D300s??!!</p>

<p>Thanks Dennis. The D300s is a backup for an upcoming trip up the Mekong from Vietnam into Laos. The D700 is primary.<br>

By the way, I figured out the problem. For some unknown reason, f8 "Customize command dial", under Custom Setting Menu, was set to "Aperture ring". I changed it to "Sub-command dial", and everything is now ok. What's interesting is that the "restored" setting is "Aperture ring" and not "Sub-command dial". <br>

Regards,</p>

<p>Leo</p>

<p>Leo,</p>

<p>A simple question I know <strong>but</strong> is the aperture ring properly set to minimum aperture value and the lock tab set on the locked position? I know it's a basic question but I have found that my 35-70mm AF-D lens needs a firm and swift twist of the aperture ring to the minimum (f/22 in this case) setting before the lock tab really locks down really tight and flush.</p>

<p>Again, like Dennis points out, if the lens works on the D700 then the problem is perhaps with your D300s body <strong>:( </strong><br>

<strong></strong><br>

I'd also give the lens contacts a clean with methylated spirits and re-try it on the D300s again......</p>