Today a bride told me...

missy_kay

<p>I attended a friend's outdoor wedding as a guest a few years ago. The minister and the B&G were in a small gazebo, really only big enough for the 3 of them with a nice little bit of extra room. During the ring exchange part of the ceremony, the photographer went into the gazebo and actually got in between the minister and B&G, unexpectedly from the look on the minister's face as he was being nudged out of the way, so she could shoot some close ups of the rings and hands.</p>

<p>Seems totally stupid! If you cannot take a clear shot while the couple are in a slow dance then you have to be a amateur!<br>

If by any chance I feel the song might come to a end in the next 40 seconds and I don't have a clear shot I would call their attention to me by making a signal to them to look at the camera while dancing and take the shot, never stop the action and only and ONLY if I did not get at 3 or 4 clear shots. This ussually does not happen, couples dance and ussually they speak to one another while dancing and that is the moment to have them looking at each other and at least one of them smiling!<br>

You just need to be ready, its not so hard!</p>

<p>There are professional photographers and photographers and people who own good cameras. If you choose only <strong>one</strong> of these over the other two you will get someone who will get the job done. Most people don't understand the difference, but some think they do and don't understand the significance of their choice. Wedding photography is also a specialty. It requires skills far beyond just knowing how to compose or expose a good picture. There are probably many photographers who can take decent pictures but doing them in the hundreds or even thousands during the wedding day and in all lighting and logistical conditions is not necessarily a skill that all of them possess. Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware.</p>

<p>How many weddings have you been to as a guest, not as a photographer? I can only think of one that I have been to in recent memory where the photographer didn't think he was the most important person in the room. I understand the need to get the shot and I think a lot of that behavior comes from dealings with unhappy brides/moms after the wedding. I think if brides had the opportunity to see their photographer in action, they might not hire him.*<br>

I shoot "PJ style" because that is my personality. The photos need to show that I was there and tell the story of the day, if people don't remember seeing me, all the better. The event is not about me (ok, mine was, but I really struggled with that).<br>

*'Him' because I have never been to a wedding with a completely obnoxious woman photographer, all the jerks were men.</p>