Elinchrom EL Skyport & BXRi lights - control flash power?

robert_meador

<p>I'm thinking of picking up the Elinchrom BXRi 500/500 To Go kit as my first studio strobe set. The lights come with built in EL Skyport receivers and the kit includes the transmitter.<br>

According to the Elinchrom site, with the Skyport set you can adjust the flash power of some connected lights via controls on the transmitter, but they don't specifically say you can control the BXRi power this way. I'm pretty sure you can but I'd love confirmation from somebody who has actually purchased the kit.<br>

Anyone?</p>

<p>- Bob</p>

<p>Yes, you can control the flash power from the transmitter. The flash power control is essentially the same on the BXRi models, and any Elinchrom RX models (Style RX monolights, Ranger RX pack/head sets, and Quadra sets). The BXRi models do not support computer control (the ability to control flash settings from a computer via a SkyPort USB transceiver). If you don't plan to use the computer control function, and don't plan to use them *heavily*, the BXRi models are very solid performers at an excellent price point. They are also compatible with the entire range of Elinchrom light modifiers.<br>

I use both Style RX monolights, and BXRi set (often combined). No problems whatsoever controlling the flash power from the transmitter.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I too was looking at the kit, and assumed the control of heads were remote.<br>

So a tour today to 2 of the pro shops in town, both do not carry the Elinchrom brand.<br>

Their reasons tend to be the same. Not self replaceable elements seems to be the reason.<br>

I'm not sure if I buy that. We don't repair our own cameras & send them in.<br>

I like my older Elinchrom heads even though all manual, never an issue.<br>

Maybe someone can shed a truer light on it.</p>