Canon EOS-1Ds

bobatkins

Canon announced, then rapidly pulled the announcement, an EOS-1Ds with

an 11 MP full frame CMOS sensor.

Seems like someone posted the announcement too early (I'm sure they

were waiting for Photokina). Anyway, it's out there, but you won't

find it on any Canon site and even sites like dpreview.com pulled it.

<BODY><P>The EOS-1Ds promises to fill an important gap in digital SLR performance. Many of us who use digital cameras at this time for portrait, event, action/performance and photojournalism are still holding on to 35mm film and medium format cameras. Even the 6 megapixel digital cameras have noticeably lower resolution than 35mm film (<A HREF="http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/film_ccd/index.htm" TARGET="">see here for examples</A>). Wide angle performance with digital SLR's is limited in most circumstance to about a 22mm equivalent to 35mm film cameras (unless you are shooting Contax). Detail visible in landscape photos enlarged above 12 x 18 inches taken with 35mm and medium format film cameras is still superior to the 6 mp cameras (although not by much). Introduction of the EOS-1Ds with a full-size collector, 11 megapixels of resolution, and professional body features such as flash sync at 1/500 s is going to result in many of us selling the remaining 35mm film and medium-format cameras that we own. </P></BODY>

I found an announcement FROM CANON about the EOS 1Ds being introduced Sept 25th in Germany...here's an excerpt..

"Canon Consumer Imaging

Photokina marks the 15-year anniversary of EOS as a brand. Canon is announcing two new EOS models at the show - the world's highest resolution Pro-camera, the EOS 1Ds and the EOS 300V, which is predicted to become the world�s number 1 selling SLR camera.

The EOS-1Ds features the first ever full frame 35mm CMOS sensor with 11.1 million effective pixels. The EOS-1Ds capture astounding detail & colour, almost doubling the resolution ordinarily considered state of the art for a digital SLR camera in the world today."

(http://www.digitalfocus.net/sections/views/1DsRumour/1DsRelease.htm)

I guess, if I get one of these, I'm going to need to purchase an external firewire 60GB hard drive?

Since I shoot a lot of sports, I prefer to have a card that will hold about 100 shots. I doubt even a 1GB CF card will hold 100 shots with 11.1 MP resolution images. And no, don't recommend IBM Microdrives to me -- won't touch them. I remember the old unreliable Calunacard 512MB PC cards that had hard drive heads in them, like the Microdrives, back on the old NC2000e AP digital camera. I don't want to go that route again. Once we switched to Lexar cards, I've never looked back.

T. Rob Brown

photojournalist