How do I reproduce this look?

tpurvis

<p>I took out the old film body and shot some slides of my grand daughter. I used my Canon 50 1.4 at around 1.8. Very happy with the results. Shallow DOF and nice angle of view. I was also impressed with the colors, but that is for another discussion. I have both an XTi and a 7D. I love this semi-wide, shallow DOP look. Is this going to be as hard to achieve this look as I think, without going full frame? I know I can fake this in PS. Any lens suggestions?</p>

<p>Shoot it at f1.4 and it should look similar. Full frame would be better, but APS-C isn't bad. DOF really expands when you get to the 5x7mm sensors in digicams.</p>

<p>The angle of view will be a little different, but if you want to get as close as you can to the above then the 35/1.4 would be the lens to go for. It will give you a very similar angle of view ( ~56mm on full frame)</p>

<p>Thanks Bob. I will look for image examples. I was researching that lens just the other day and was impressed. Canon's website does not indicate if this L lens is sealed. Any ideas? I was told not to assume that all L lens are.</p>

<p>Expanding a little on what Bob wrote, the DoF will be the same when the aperture _diameter_ is the same at the new focal length. A 35/1.4 has a wide open aperture of 25mm, the exact same as a 50mm at f/2. The view will be sligthly longer than the 50mm, but not objectionably so, and the DoF not quite as shallow as the f/1.8 you shot. For an exact match, you would need a 31.25mm shot at f/1.125. The Sigma 30/1.4 is a little closer but a bit wider, but the wide open DoF would be the same as 50mm at f/2.3.</p>

<p>28mm / 1.8 = 15.6mm.<br>

50mm / 15.6mm = f/3.2<br>

I was mulling over this thought further, as I also miss having a light, simple normal prime lens (for the 7D). The price for the 35/1.4L is $1400. If I keep at this much longer, I'll convince myself that a FF body for WA makes perfectly good sense. Add the $300 savings on the 24-105/2.8 5D2 kit lens, which I plan to buy soon anyway, nets this out to only a few dollars short. It makes perfectly wonderful sense. I'm not sure how I'll hide it from the wife, though, and this one will have to remain hidden.</p>

<p>Hey, you got the 7D in the house, what's one more lens. I think this is a missing link for the crop cameras that can't be found. I thought film would be a good option, but alas, the grain in even professional grade slide film is unacceptable. I have printed and sold images from my XTi as large as 20X30. Film has not been able to match the clean images I get from digital. I think I am going to hold out for a FF. I have a deal with my wife, when I hit my target weight, I can treat myself to a new camera. 40 pounds down and 30 to go. I should be the proud owner of a new 5D by summer.</p>

<p>Sanity sets in... The point of the small normal prime was to make it easier to carry, like the Pentax MX was when I was still in the school. It went everywhere I went, and buckled up snugly in its fitted leatherette case. Adding a top of the line FF body just to carry the 50/1.4 is just so all bass ackwards. What I really want is a small fitted case for the 7D with a pancake or normal lens mounted, like they used to make in the olden days.</p>

<p>In addition to the bokeh, part of what gives your photo that look is the overall contrast as well as the vignetting (darkening of the corners) seen with the 50/1.4 when shot at or near full aperture on full-frame. Shooting RAW with a 35/1.4 or like full-frame lens on a crop body, you'll need to do a little work in post processing to add some vignetting effect and adjust tone curves to get the "pop" of the colors.</p>