M6 fit and finish issue. Anyone?

harry_gam

<p>Hi all,<br>

I have used M6 non-ttl version for a while and noticed some little bothersome fact. My M6's rear flap (where the iso selector is located) shows some rooms to be pushed. It's a less than a millimeter wiggle, so I doubt it will affect the image quality of this fine machine. However it is very awkward to notice such thing from the works of German perfectionists. :P<br>

So does anyone have noticed same thing? Or is it normal?<br>

-Harry-</p>

<p>Harry -- just go out and shoot with the camera. I notice you're worried about wiggle in your Nikkor lens, too. I have to admit - I can be obsessive about my own gear -- but that usually happens when I'm either snowed in - or bored out of my mind. The best remedy is to load some film and go take some pretty pictures. Your M6 is just fine.</p>

<p>

<p>I do agree with Bob, but just to add a bit to your observation Harry. <br /><br />The early M3 does in fact have very little if not zero play in that door. (Fully loaded)<br />But that doesn't mean that there isn't a technical reason for Leica going the route of more play. They could have easily machined the component with no play; but, <strong>no play can be problematic...</strong> <br /><br />Look at the <strong>long gone</strong> and "overly precise" Contarex cameras vs. the successful and "loose" Nikon Pro SLR's of the same era. Too tight makes for obvious issues in temperature extremes, debris & corrosion seizing. (I think some Gun manufacturing shares in this truth to) A bit of play also helps in batch variation, so assembly can occur without too much factory hand modification. <br /><br />Though not appreciated by a "fondler", it is appreciated by the workers of the camera company, who rely on its continued success for their livelihoods’. Not to mention the working Pro photographer...</p>

</p>

<p> </p><div>00VR7V-207455584.JPG.74bbe81596dbb89595c986e3bfcfe740.JPG</div>

<p>Thanks Bob. Of course the cameras are just a tool, and sometimes we all fall into the habbit of worrying all the small things of them, which makes no difference for the tool's purpose. Thanks for reminding and correct me on the right way :)<br>

Thanks Gus. I didn't thought that way before. When I used to be in the engineering school, my professor once almost yelled my design to be too tight of tolerances, thus useless in real life.</p>

<p>The back door has two responsibilities: (1) keep light out, (2) hold pressure plate in place.<br>

Load sacrificial film, remove lens, put shutter on B, lock shutter open with cable release. Wiggle the back door while watching the film through the front. Does the film move? No, no problem. Yes, you need repairs.<br>

I presume you'd notive fogging from a failure of the first responsibility.</p>

<p>John,<br>

I've just sacrificied one tester film and luckily non of issues found. So far I've used about 30 rolls of films (all color negatives), and it turned out great. Since I didn't hear anything from my processor it seemed fine.</p>

<p>Bruce,<br>

I would much like to stay away from the large format. Compared to Deardorff you've mentioned my Leica and Nikon are sounds trouble free. :)</p>

<p>I think your giving Leica too much of a free pass on this one, Gus. I doubt the Leica designers planned for slop in the fit and finish of their cameras expecting them to be used like Kalashnikovs. The way to keep out dirt and dust is with tight tolerances, not loose ones. The real question is why anyone would pay exhorbitant prices for Leica's when they exhibit this kind of poor quaity. And it's not the first time we've heard this sort of complaint, is it.</p>