Will the Lee filter system work on a Nikon 65mm SW f4 without vignetting?

joel_orbita

<p>Hi, I have just purchased a Nikon SW 65mm f4 and was wondering if the Lee filter system would work with lens without vignetting? Also, have been looking at the Cokin Z Pro system and was wondering if that would work with this lens (without vignetting)? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. </p>

<p>I use the standard square Lee filter with only one slot attached. I have cut off 2 pleats from the smaller end of the bellows which still allows me sun shading on my longer lenses. I find that with the relatively small amount of movement afforded by the 65mm there isn't much issue with vignetting. Cutting off 2 pleats and reattaching the bellows to the frame allows me to use as much as a graduated ND in the single slot, and stack it on top of a thin line polarizer, and allow the full movement of the lens.</p>

<p>I looked at and immediately did not consider buying Lee's wide angle bellows shade as I found it is too large for me to consider carrying in my pack and would be nearly useless on my longer lenses.</p>

<p>Enjoy your 65mm it is an excellent lens.</p>

<p>A Lee 100mm holder should work. I use the donut version with 2 filter slots attached and a Rodenstock 55mm lens without vignetting. But, the donut version of the Lee holder won't work with the Nikkor 65mm lens.</p>

<p>Instead, you will want the standard Lee 100mm holder.</p>

<p>The key will be getting the standard Lee holder close enough to the lens. You might want to try a Heliopan (very thin) 67mm to 82mm adapter ring and the Lee 82mm wide angle adapter ring.</p>

<p>This will put the holder very close to the lens.</p>

<p>I don't know, but Lee gives you some helpful options for wide-angle lenses.</p>

<p>First, you can reconfigure the 3-slot holder to a thinner 1- or 2-slot size.</p>

<p>Second, you can buy a wide-angle adapter ring that is more recessed than the normal Lee adapter rings.</p>

<p>I think the Lee holders are the best, but you mileage may vary.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that a very wide-angle lens will suffer from light falloff on all edges even when no filter is attached. I don't know whether you can get away with using a center filter and the Lee holder at the same time.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>If you're goint to use a center filter you'll probably have a 67mm thread at the lens side and 86mm thread at the front of the filter. If this is true, then you can use the Lee donut holder attached to the center filter, a Lee polarizer attached to the donut holder and a filter attached to the polarizer, even with a 47mm lens (I did it, no vignetting with this configuration).</p>