They asked me how much I wanted to be paid, what do I say?

amandak

<p>A former supervisor of mine who I get along with pretty well asked if I could photograph her wedding in a few months after seeing a photo shoot I did for a friend and she asked me how much did I want to be paid. I don't know how much to charge. This will be my first time shooting a wedding so I was thinking maybe $500 since I see the normal price is at least $1000+ and it would be my first time doing it. Any help would be appreciated!</p>

<p>When I started, I did a few weddings for cost. In a digital world, costs are low. So I would have shot the wedding for a very low price. Maybe 200.</p>

<p>Normal price is another issue. In my world, normal is 1,500-4,000 depending upon hours, albums, negs, etc.</p>

<p>The lower the price, the happier the bride will be.......whether it goes well or not. And it may not go well given it's your first try.</p>

<p>Best of luck, Jeremy</p>

<p>Whatever figure you come up with, put it - and all other terms - in writing. I've seen oodles of posts here from people needing advice about what to do after things went sour (for righteous or dubious reasons) during a wedding assignment.<br>

Back to your question, though. Know how much time you plan to put in on the wedding day and after the wedding getting the pictures ready. A lot of people figure if they're shooting six hours on the wedding, their cost should be based on that amount of time worked. But, you might spend another three hours editing. Do you already own backup equipment, or are you buying/renting to pull this off? If you're putting albums together, there's more time and more of your "costs".<br>

Having said all that, if you're not 100 percent confident in your ability to carry this off, set the price somewhat low because people have less to scoff at for a $500 wedding than they do a $1,000 wedding.<br>

But, get it all in writing.</p>

<p>You say whatever figure you think you should be/want to be paid.</p>

<p>However, before you agree, think about what you are getting yourself into. If you want to get into shooting weddings for money, there are better and less riskier ways to ease yourself into it, and there are risks whenever someone pays you to perform a job, any job. They usually expect to receive something good, something that fits their mental image of whatever the product is. If you haven't had a lot of experience shooting weddings, or even, shooting, you can open yourself up to a world full of trouble.</p>

<p>It could be that your former supervisor's expectations jive completely with your ability to photograph this wedding, but then again, they might not. Whatever you do, have a contract, whether you are paid or not.</p>

<p>What are your intentions with shooting weddings? If you are treating this as an opportunity to learn or experiment 'on the job', realize that mistakes can cost plenty. Most people do not look kindly upon mistakes made at their once in a lifetime event. I'm not trying to discourage you. In fact, I hope I am helping you by making sure you understand the consequences and evaluate your situation and abilities accurately.</p>

<p>At the ceremony, when the priest says, "In the night he was betrayed, Jesus turned to his apostles and said..." - what should you be anticipating, and therefore preparing, to shoot next?<br /> <br /> My point is, rather than ponder how much to charge, there are soooo many other points in which you should become more knowledgeable that concern covering weddings. Not to sound like a naysayer, but there is some value in being a second shooter and getting acquainted with how these events transpire and what they need before becoming the main photographer, don't you think so? It's not like a photoshoot which is so cut and tried compared to a real time live event. <br /> <br /> The answer to your question then, which you may probably not want to hear, is it really wouldn't be fair for you to charge much for something you're not capable of rendering expertly, since you're cutting your teeth on this wedding and if you're going to make mistakes, which you probably will, it's going to be on that wedding too. Does this make sense to you? Maybe have them cover costs and some wear and tear plus have them understand you've never done this before so if you do miss anything or handle it less than satisfactory, they don't come after you with torches. <br /> <br /> So as long as your supervisor doesn't see $500 as being a fortune and understands your beginner status, welcome aboard (though they may say it's okay but after the job, if they're dismayed, it goes out the window. Luckily, even if you do a medium to fair job of it, the resulting images usually look somewhat better than their point n' shoots do, so you still come out on top.)<br /> <br /> I still shudder that people hired me when I was a novice.</p>

<p>If you haven't shot a wedding (be it as a 2nd or a tagalong) I'd recommend you pass this work up. I've read and heard friendships being broken because the bride had different expectations that their "friend" photographer simply couldn't deliver.</p>

<p>Event photography is one of the most advanced forms of photography. The lighting situations continuously change, the subject to camera distance are almost always variable. If you have no experience shooting weddings how can you anticipate the MUST shots?</p>

<p>If you're former supervisor / friend is adamant in hiring, make sure she knows that this is your first time and whatever you agree upon must be put in writing, as in everything, so that if anything happens you are covered.</p>

<p>so you are pretty much saying that you are worth $500 for doing something that you never done before?</p>

<p>Do you think for example that a car mechanic is worth paying X/2 for to fix a boat for the first time just because X is the going rate for a boat mechanic?</p>

<p>But I guess you can always just throw any number out there...it is one thing to say how much you are charging and another whether the customer is willing to pay for it. One thing though is that you need to manage expectations, or you will be ending a friendship real quick.</p>

<p>Hi Amanda, what are you thinking is the difference between your former supervisor seeing "a photo shoot I did for a friend" and a wedding event at several locations?</p>

<p>Merely asking so that you can self-assess.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the input/advice, I really appreciate it and am going to bring some of the possible issues up with her and dicuss that she may not want to use me as I am a beginner. She is aware that I am a beginner, but I don't want to her to be disappointed if I do end up doing it.</p>

<p>Amanda--I will repeat the need to have a contract even if you end up doing it for little money (just expenses or something). Even if your relationship is friendly now, and remains friendly after. There have been many cases similar to yours (beginner doing the shoot for an acquaintance or friend), where the bride's expectations were not met, even with the best of intentions and communications going in, and the relationship turned sour after the wedding.</p>

<p>I got started many years ago shooting parties in college. From that weddings seemed a natural progression - lots of fast action under difficult lighting, large halls, crowded conditions, etc. My suggestion would be to try to get some parties or similar activity under your belt. You won't feel the stress that can occur at weddings. You also have the luxury of experimenting with various techniques you wouldn't want to try at a wedding. Analyze the metadata column (I assume you're using Lightroom or Photoshop). This can tell you what works and doesn't. By the time you shoot a wedding you want to be confident you can provide good results. Be sure to be proficient in the use of all your equipment. Having backup equipment is valuable. Don't let any one defective piece of equipment stop you from shooting. Also having an assistant with you is worthwhile while you're going through your learning curve. They can watch your equipment if you have to run to your car, other rooms, or restroom. They can have a checklist of formal shots so you don't forget a critical family pairing. If nothing else it's nice to have someone "on your side" during the chaos. Good luck.</p>

<p>Amanda, this is my unqualified opinion FWIW...<br>

I have to agree with the others regarding skill levels when talking professional photog pay. I would NEVER feel comfortable asking for fees when I know the potential for less-than-adequate results exists. I've only shot 4 full weddings so far, 2 for close friends, and 2 for relatives. Although the bride/grooms were happy, I held my breath when they saw my final PP cuts. Most of my p/t work/hobby with photog is doing portraits and family groups. I'm trying to build SLOWLY from there and read/research/learn, learn, learn.</p>

<p>Any time there is the opportunity to be sued, you need to have insurance first.<br>

Bumping into grandma and breaking her hip because you're focused on getting the shot is always a possibility. If you want to shoot the wedding, then tell your boss your gonna do it for free as a guest and tell her to pay you what she thinks it was worth later. That way you're covered from a liability standpoint.</p>