Filters for Canon 70-200mm f4. IS

rogernoel

<p>I have just purchased a Canon 70-200 mm f 4 IS lens and find it accepts a 77 mm filter. I have two other lenses that use this size filter. Neither of these filters are likely considered high quality. My 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM has a Quantaray Polarizing Filter. At some times I believe this filter may have caused some minor blur or defect , albeit I am not sure. I know it is not a great idea putting a cheap filter on an expensive lens. So my question is, should I purchase a B W or higher quality polarizing filter for my new lens. I have been looking at several to include some very thin filters, but in my research on filters, I find that some very thin filters will not permit a lens cap to be attached. I would appreciate any advice on this. BTW I am primarily an amateur landscape and wildlife photographer.</p>

<p>You don't need extra thin filters for the 70-200 L or 17-55. Normal thickness filters will not vignette on either lens (yes, I own both zooms and use Polarizers). And there is no gain in optical quality when you pay extra for a thin rim. Buy the best normal thickness filter you can afford.</p>

<p>I use a Hoya multi-coated Pro 1 Pol and am happy with it. I own several B&W filters as well but find the rims too heavy and thick for my taste (the standard Hoya rim is much thinner). The Quantaray is among the worse you can buy, so you can't go wrong with any any of multi-coated B&W or Hoya models.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>The 70-200mm f/4 L IS lens uses a 67mm filter, not a 77mm filter like your 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. You can use a 67-77mm step up ring on the 70-200 to share filters with your other lenses, but that will prevent you from using a lens hood at the same time.</p>

<p>I would look at the nicer multicoated Hoya filters or the B+W filters as your best option.</p>

<p>Check the filter diameter. I have this lens and its 67mm not 77mm thread.<br>

If you need a polariser I'd settle for a B+W with the multi-resistant coating. I also have Hoya Pro 1 polarisers and whilst they are no different optically as far as I can see they are more difficult to clean and the coating seems more fragile. You don't need slim filters. The only other thing I'd consider is a UV/Protection filter in case you use ift in blowing sand, CD spray or whatever. </p>

<p>Thank you all. I am obviously brain dead. Actually the lens is in transit from Amazon and is due here Tuesday, but I thought I had read that it was 77mm. I am certainly glad I posted this. I am immediately going to get on line to Amazon and order B+W or Hoya polarizing filter with the multi resistant coating. I have to admit, I seldom post here, but whenever I do, I get good results. Again all your responses are appreciated. </p>

<p>I do not know where yours came from but my 70-200 f2.8 is 77mm while my 70-200 F4 LIS is (like Sheldon and David) a 67mm filter. Any 67mm circ pol will allow the lens hood to fit - the problem is that you cannot rotate the filter with the lens hood on. A bigger filter with a step down ring will not fit - someone asked this question the other week and I tried it with a 72mm filter (the next size up and another Canon standard - mainly from the FD days) and it is not possible to fit the lens hood. as others have said the Hoya Pro 1 works well (this is what I use). the thin filters are for wide angle lenses and should generally be only bought for this purpose as they are more delicate and more expensive. For example my 16-35 F2.8 II takes an 82mm filter but a standard width one causes slight vignetting (darkening) of the image edges on full frame. A thin filter does not do this.</p>

<p>Another vote for the better MC Hoya filters.</p>

<p>They're a nice compromise and I have not seen any differences between the B+W UV filters that I have and the Hoya better models except for the price. Well, maybe the metal mount is a little fancier looking on the B+W, but I can't see optical differences.</p>