SUper Angulon vs. Super Symmar

xosni

I want to know what is the differences between these two designs? Both

are wide angle design and they feature the same image circle ang angle

of coverage more or less. What are the downs and ups of each of those

designs?

regards

You might want to visit http://www.schneideroptics.com to see the technical details on the different lens design.

I have some SA and Super Symmar lenses but haven't done any test comparison shots. Both designs are absolutely stellar, very sharp, give great contrast. The wider angle SA will have a hot spot in the center of your picture if you don't use the graduated ND filters specially made for them, but that can be mitigated somewhat depending on what angle the sun is on your subject and what f/stop you use.

I routinely use the 210mm Super Symmar HM on 8x10. Magnificent lens.

I suppose you're talking about the super-symmar XL.

The only advantage of the super-angulon is that it is easier

to find it on the used market. The ss-XL is brighter by a stop,

lighter, smaller, and provides a more even coverage (ie sharper

corners).

Comparing the various Super-Angulons with the Super-Symmar XL lenses (I think the Super-Symmar HM series is discontinued), the Super-Symmar XL lenses are typically substantially smaller and lighter than a Super-Angulon of the same focal length. Someone who intends hiking with their LF setup is likely to have a strong preference for the Super-Symmar XL.

On the other hand, at least some of the Super-Angulons have greater coverage, e.g., the Super-Angulon XL 72 mm has an angle of coverage of 115 degrees while the Super-Symmar XL 80 mm has an angle of coverage of 106 degrees. Even though the 72 mm is a shorter focal length than 80 mm, the Super-Angulon XL 72 mm has a larger image circle diameter, 226 mm for the SA-XL 72 versus 212 mm for the Super-Symmar XL 80 mm. A hypothetical Super-Angulon XL 80 mm would have an image circle of 251 mm! For an photographer of architecture working in confined areas in a city, the extra wide view with additional coverage could be well worth the increase weight of the Super-Angulon XL.

Another advantage of the Super-Angulon series is that they have modestly better (less) falloff in illumination off-axis. In some cases one might want a center filter on a Super-Symmar but not on a Super-Angulon.