Zeiss 100 F2 problem

daniel_ob2

<p >- I have Zeiss ZF-100F2 Macro lens attached to Nikon-F6.</p>

<p >- The problem: Aperture does not closing</p>

<p >- Description: Press the button to close the aperture and it will not close. Need to shake the lens and than it will close, after that it work fine. But if I do not use for say 5 min, I need to work it out (shake) again. If the lens is cold, say outside on winter time, I can hit it against the wall and it will not close.</p>

<p >- Diagnosis: looks it is grease way to dense, the spring that closing the aperture is weak, or grease went where it should not be.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >If anyone else has the same lens, please comment.</p>

<p >Thanks and happy new year</p>

<p>I have the same lens, but never had a problem. It comes with a 2 year warranty, which your credit card probably adds a year onto. <br>

Contact Zeiss; Make arrangements to return it for inspection; usually Z. replaces, rather than repairs the ZF lenses. Also, the service is usually fast..just a few days turnaround. BTW, there is no grease, nor should there be, in an auto-diaphragm aperture mech. My Nikon 135/2 AiS has an similar but intermittant problem; unfortunately I'll probably have to pay $125 or so to have it fixed.</p>

<p>No problem.<br>

When the lens is detached the lever that closes the lens moves easily - just the spring gives a slight resistance. There seems no grease in the mechanism.</p>

<p>If you feel any resistance other than the spring that brings the iris back to open there is a mechanical problem.</p>

<p >Walter</p>

<p ><em><strong>When the lens is detached the lever that closes the lens moves easily - just the spring gives a slight resistance.</strong></em></p>

<p >TRUE - If I pull the lever all the way, by hand, and release it will close the blades. No problem.</p>

<p > </p>

<p ><em><strong>If you feel any resistance other than the spring that brings the iris back to open there is a mechanical problem.</strong></em></p>

<p >NO OTHER RESISTANCE, ONLY FROM SPRING.</p>

<p >------------</p>

<p >Looks the problem is that something sticks (provably the lever) when aperture is opened around 5 min or more, and than the spring cannot close the aperture. One surface should be wiped clean. The lens was out of use around a year, but not exposed to abnormal temperature.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Yes I have tried another F6 and the same problem. I have the lens 2 years and 3 months, so warranty is over.</p>

<p >-----------------</p>

<p >But anyway, I would like to clean the greased surface myself if it is not difficult. Any suggestion how to open the back of the lens and access the lever and the spring.</p>

<p>Daniel I would try to send it to Zeiss and let them have a look at it.</p>

<p>Out of warranty? You know that some products really never never break, at east in normal use ? :-P<br>

I know of cases where Zeiss service people went way out of their way to confirm the trust customers have in their products. I might be too optimistic but it is worth a try.<br>

At least I would give them a call and talk things over with them and what they think about your private repair.</p>

<p>I just ordered a Zeiss 100mm makroplanar T from B & H yesterday so not happy to read something like this. I have done much research before deciding to do this (migrating to fast primes / manual focus) and never had read anything at all other than extreme mechanical quality from these lenses. I expect I will see the same quality and expect to have the lens the rest of my life.</p>

<p>As far as I can remember, it is rare that someone reports that a ZF lens is defective; at least this is the first time in a long while, although ZF does not quite have a wide ownership as Nikkor lenses do. If people expect no Zeiss lens will ever go back for repair, that is simply unrealistic.</p>

<p>If the lens in question is indeed only 3 months past the 2-year warranty period, I would get in touch with Zeiss and see whether they are willing to fix it for free. One way or another, you'll need to get it fixed.</p>

<p>The stop-down lever in your lens probably is slight bent out of shape, so its travel jams. Straighten it using a small pair of pliers. Less likely the problem is with the coupled lever inside the mirror box of the camera, this lever sometims can be twisted slightly after rough lens changes.</p>

<p>The stop-down mechanism of Nikkors and equivalents isn't exactly rocket science. So the measures taken to correct any problem typically can be quite simple :)</p>

<p>There are no greased parts in the aperture linkage mechanism in the lens.</p>

<p>Daniel - the lens should be checked by Carl Zeiss to determine if it is functioning correctly. Please contact me at <a href="mailto:rschleuning@zeiss.com">rschleuning@zeiss.com</a> to discuss. If you are located in the Americas, I can help you directly - otherwise I will refer you to one of my colleagues at the factory. Thank you - Richard Schleuning, National Sales Manager, Carl Zeiss Camera Lens Division, Americas.</p>

<p>When I put the lens on Nikon F3 and all is fine. No blame on Zeiss.<br>

Something is strange .<br>

F6 + any of 3 Nikon lenses I have = OK.<br>

F6 + 100F2 Zeiss = problem with apperture<br>

F3 + 100F2 Zeiss = OK<br>

But at least I know the lens 100F2 Zeiss = OK.</p>