Does Radio Popper PX have to Mount on Flash?

<p>Can anyone tell me if the Radio Popper PX transimitter can be used ONLY on top of an on-camera flash? That's how it looks on their website, and I think there are definitely times when I only want to trigger the off-camera flash(es) without the extra weight of my Canon 580 EX or even a smaller flash on the camera. I already have Canon's ST-E transmitter, which isn't exactly sturdy, so I'd rather not mount the PX on top of that either. <br>

Thanks for your comments. Bill</p>

<p>The PX uses an electromagnetic pickup to read the signals from the flashtube itself. So not only does it need to be mounted on the flash, it needs to be mounted in direct relation to the flash tube within the flash.</p>

<p>In short, yes.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<p>Sorry for waiting so long to reply but if anyones doing a search this may still be useful info.</p>

<ul>

<li>The transmitter needs to attach to the master flash, you can angle the master flash any way you want since the transmitter is mounted directly to the flash head that you're moving.</li>

<li>The receiver will be placed directly over the receiving sensor, and you'll be provided with a mask to cover the rest of the sensor array.</li>

</ul>

<p>I'm sure you've already figured all this out though.</p>

<p>Dan</p>