How to join as an asst?!

<p>Hello All,</p>

<p> It's my dream to take up fashion photography as my profession though my mainstream is something else at the moment. I have been doing some TFCD works with my local models. I live in cambridge, UK. I want to learn more and I think the best way is to assist a seasoned pro but I have no clue how do I get to them or whom do I approach!.. My another concern is that I can work only during weekends as I am a science professional working during the week. How much will this work assisting some on weekends to begin with?<br>

Please, could you suggest some best possible way? I am getting more desperate these days!</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Karthick</p>

<p>Don't get desperate, get determined! If you have a book, grab it and visit the fashion gunners in your area. If you call ahead they will probably blow you off. Line up some visits and take an afternoon off and get moving. Tell'em what you want to do and see what happens.<br />Investigate and ASMP or other Photog Associations and ambush photographers at the next meeting. Call and talk to C to C ad agencies and see who they're using and would possibly recommend you see.<br />There's lots you can do.<br />Gary</p>

<p>The A in ASMP is in American. The ASMP lists exactly two photographers in the entire UK.</p>

<p>I think you will have a serious problem with the weekend issue. Although there might be a few weekend shoots for fashion work, it's a job and a weekday job. You should talk to your employer and see how difficult it is to get a day or two free a week. Even then, most photographers are looking for assistants who can work when they need them, not when the assistant wants to work. It could make more sense to get a full-time assistant job and then leave work.</p>