Canon 1V vs Contax N1

jia_shi_li

Maybe the 50/1.4 and the macro, but only if you use a tripod, slow slide film, and examine at very high magnification. As a Leica M, R and Hasselblad user in addition to EOS, I can say unequivocally that the only way to see an obvious improvement over Canon L glass is to go to medium format. The Contax AF zooms are nothing special, less than or at best equal to Canon L. And the lens range and body features includindg the AF of the Canon are far, far superior. So is the resale value.

Jack makes a good point about the EOS 1V's far superior autofocus. It won't matter how sharp a lens is if the camera can't get it focused fast enough to get the picture sharp. But at any rate, you should judge the lenses by their tested and proven optical performance, not merely by their name. And the N-series Zeiss lenses don't appear to be anything extraodinary.

>"Hi all, I have the Canon 1V and few L lenses, I wonder if the Contax >N1 and it's Zeiss Lens will out perform the 1V and L lens. Does >anyone have experience with both system? Thanks!! "

So you have a 1v and a few L lenses. Most likely what you need is to use these lenses and camera like crazy and shoot tons of films. Most likely you will get the best results this way :)

Watch out the vultures are circling waiting for another Canon user to die.

I can't begin to tell you how sad it is when a good photographer gets obsessed with Zeiss. It's like smoking once your hooked they could charge $20.00 a pack and you would still pay. If you were thinking of the old MF fixed focal length lenses I could see the reasoning. It might be worth picking up a cheap body and an lens or two without dumping the Canon stuff. The contrast {in some lenses} is the only difference you will find, not sharpness. The AF system is completely different and it is poo poo. {keeping it somewhat clean} The N1 body is not inspired just reworked old technology. The lens selection quite limited and IMHO not the greatest quality. The adapter to use 645 lenses - why? Contax digital is a very bad joke.

My advice don't get sucked into the Zeiss legacy crap. It's like being abducted by some sort of cult. Seriously! You already have one of the most solid cameras out there and the L glass is top notch. If you would like to play try a cheap medium format, a 35mm rangefinder, maybe digital, or maybe a class in something new.

Hope this helps

John