raw converters

carole_lehrman

<p>I have a Nikon d90 and am working really hard to learn all its features. I want to take photos in raw and read that I need a raw converter. I have a year old Mac computer and import using iPhoto. I also have Adobe Photoshop CS4. Do I need to install Nikon's software - which is Nikon Transfer and View NX as well as other assorted software or is what I have sufficient? Thanks for advice.</p>

<p>What is you have is certainly 'sufficient'. However, it really comes down to personal preference. I was a Photoshop devotee for years until I began using Capture NX2. Now, I use both. You can always download the trial version of Capture to see if it is for you.</p>

<p>i think the converter in ViewNX (free from nikon) is the same as the one in NX2 (not free, from nikon). so try the ViewNX converter if you wish, and see whether it has a place in your workflow. incidentally, NX2 has a free, 60-day trial, and i use it exclusively. give it a try.</p>

<p>In principle, the RAW converter inside Photoshop CS4 is perfectly able to handle NEF files created with a D90. The advantage of using Nikon's software is a faithful representation of the in-camera colour settings, as well as an IMHO better demosaicing algorithm. Although the RAW converter inside TransferNX is the same as the one in CaptureNX 2, you should be aware of a couple of inconvenients in Transfer.</p>

<p>For example, using the various picture control settings in Transfer is a bit cumbersome. While in Capture you can choose whatever you want and directly make small adjustments of, let's say, contrast, in Transfer you are forced to create a new profile based on a preexisting Nikon setting. This is somewhat inconvenient when creating a slightly nonstandard look off the NEF.</p>

<p>Another ugly aspect of Transfer is the way in which Active D-Lighting is managed. I don't know how often you use it, but choosing *any* picture control setting other than "As shot" completely disables Active D-Lighting in that picture. This wouldn't be too aggravating in Capture, but not having any "curves and levels" utility in Transfer means that, if your picture requires a levels adjustment, you will need to postprocess it with other software. Unless that particular picture is saved with a moderate amount of "Shadows" restoration.</p>

<p>Finally, the one RAW adjustment that is missing in Transfer is distortion correction. I would bet that Nikon will never add this feature to transfer. </p>

<p>Oh, and before I finish, I personally think that UI-wise and performance-wise, Nikon software is horrible under windows. Reading Thom Hogan makes me think it's not better on the Mac side of the fence. That's it, Miguel, breathe deeply.</p>

<p>CS4 has a very nice raw converter: Adobe Converter Raw (ACR) 5.0 and upgrades are free. That's all I use and the work flow is great. I tried NX a while back and fumbled around too much and didn't get any better results. Its what you get used to I guess. Anyway, you don't have to buy anything now because you have CS4. You can certainly run a trial version of NX2 to see if you like it. Happy New Year and enjoy your D90!</p>

<p>You read it over and over again: NX2 is the best for Nikon RAW.<br>

I get tired of commenting such blanket statement but sometimes I do ^^.</p>

<p>Correct is that NX2 can give better results (like e.g. better moire suppression and more pleasing but not necessary more accurate colors) than its competition, but there are cases where the opposite is true. Examples from Adobe Camera RAW are cases of superior blown highlight recovery and cases where you need to visually inspect effects of setting to get best results like critical noise reduction+sharpening / preservation of detail , a thing that is difficult or impossible with NX2.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do I need to install Nikon's software - which is Nikon Transfer and View NX as well as other assorted software or is what I have sufficient?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What you have is sufficient. Photoshop CS4 has Adode Camera RAW (ACR) bundled with it. I use a card reader to download to my Mac. I just make a folder, and then drag and drop the images into the folder. Using a card reader is <em>much</em> faster than cabling the camera.</p>

<p>After the image files are on your computer, you can drag and drop one onto the PS icon, and ACR will automatically open it up for you to work on. You should also have Adobe Bridge as part of the PS SC4 bundle. You can use Bridge to organize your image files.</p>

<p>As far as RAW converters go, I prefer <a href="http://www.dxo.com/us/photo">DxO</a> . It's got excellent RAW conversion, and AFAIK it has the best automatic lens distortion correction of any commercially available software. IMO it has better highlight recovery than ACR or LR. Perspective distortion correction is also on-board, and it'll de-fish, too. They have a free trial like everyone else. There's a new version for Mac due out soon that ought to fix some of the awkwardness of the UI. The new Win version is already out.</p>