NEC P221 vs Spectraview II pro kit

<p>I have learned today from P.Lavoie that this monitor ( that I have bought) can be calibrated with the Spectraview II and the colorimeter that comes with it.<br>

If I have understand well with that kind of monitor and calibration kit there is no more need in building a profile for the video card because everything is done in the monitor. Am I right?<br>

I did read many reviews and questions on forums about that calibration kit (Spectraview II kit) and many people seems to have experienced problems of bad colorimeter, difficulties to calibrate to obtain the right results. Can you suggest the right worflow to calibrate the NEC P221 vs Spectraview II pro kit and all the do's & dont's.<br>

Also, is removing my actual calibration profile and other things from Pantone Spyder is enough to ensure that the video card isn't sending a profiled signal to the NEC P221.<br>

An happy new year to all of you,<br>

Live long and prosper...<br>

PL</p>

<p>i have a 2690wuxi and the spectraview soft.. im on a Mac if that is important ... the calibration process was a breeze, simply open the soft, give him the info i want; gamma 2.2, 6500k luminance 110...the software then ask for the calibrator, wait for the monitor to get there, once all is done by him, he start the profile creation..take around 5min total. as simple as that. He will also remember you to calibrate your monitor in a month or whatever the date you give him.</p>

<p>I also calibrate this monitor 2 weeks ago for a friend on Mac, exactly the same process as i describe since its the same software!<br>

now let see what the other can say about it ; )</p>

<p>The P221 is the low end of the NEC monitors that SpectraView can calibrate. It does not work directly on the monitor (as with the larger NEC montors such as the one Patrick has) but creates a new color adjusted look up table (LUT) through the video card. Performance is quite good (I have one) and it's really quite simple to use. Load the software and create the monitor profile according to what settings you want. I use the exact same settings that Patrick does and re-profile once every two weeks. I have never had a problem.</p>

• 1 month later...

<blockquote>

<p>The P221 is the low end of the NEC monitors that SpectraView can calibrate. It does not work directly on the monitor (as with the larger NEC montors such as the one Patrick has) but creates a new color adjusted look up table (LUT) through the video card.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> This is incorrect. The P221 has an internal LUT with which Spectraview can communicate to establish calibration. The LUT is 10-bit rather than the 12 of the higher end monitors, but this is still an improvement over the 8 bits sent over the DVI cable. Note that some video cards do in fact have higher bit LUTs, but the DVI spec only allows 8 bits of that information to be transmitted to the monitor.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Hello, I just popped into this thread because I'm preparing to purchase the calibration kit for my P221 and I'm just confirming that the NEC calibration kit is the best solution for this monitor. It sounds like it is the way to go.</p>

<p>I do want to correct a statement above. Xrite makes the puck for NEC; HOWEVER, the NEC puck is calibrated to the white point of the NEC monitors and therefore is different than the X-Rite branded Disply Right 2. I got this information directly from NEC last year. I am not sure however if there are different pucks for different monitors. Is the white point the same on all sizes of NEC monitor? I will find that out on Monday.</p>

<p>Overall I really like the P221. Its a great solution for hobbyists on a budget. And I like that there is a custom calibration solution for the P221. On the flip side, it is a bit unfortunate if you decide to switch brands as your puck may need to be replaced.</p>

<p>Oh really? That's good news. I guess since I was reading that this puck is tuned for NEC, I assumed it would not work well with other brands, just as other brands do not seem to work well for tuning this monitor. So I guess I should ask, is my assumption correct that the NEC puck and Spectraview software is the best calibration the right assumption? Is there a better solution I should be considering, such as Spyder 3?<br>

Thanks!</p>