Tripod recommendation for Canon Xsi?

craig_frank

<p>How serious are you about photography? More than any item, the tripod will be with you for many years and may be as important as the camera as to image quality. Going cheap, unless you go really cheap, will not be of benefit in the long run as they wont last, serve you well and you will replace within a short time. I have tripods I have had over 20 years and still use them--other than my LF cameras, I don't have any camera that old!</p>

<p> The only thing at that budget that I can recommend is sturdy, solid, workable but not light or fast to work with. If you're young and strong enough to carry it, this will serve you well:</p>

<p>http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=tiltall%20tripod</p>

<p> National Geographic issued them to their contract photographers, so you know they'll do the job.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi..hoping I can 'tag along' on this thread as I have exactly the same question as Craig. Couple questions I have about the Tiltall specifically: Does it have a 'quick release"? The models I have seen show the disc at top and threaded screw, but it doesn't look removable. Does it have they typical quick release? Also, can the tripod head be moved so that you can take pictures in 'portrait' rather than landscape mode? I can't determine that from the photos either. One last question, this model of tripod does not seem to have a center column that can 'crank up and down' like others. Is that a good thing or bad? I know I use that option on my current cheapo..do you miss that feature on the Tiltall? Thanks. Am sure will help many ppl considering same tripod model.</p>

<p>Steve, most camera tripods allow for vertical shooting and I believe this one does. The center column doesn't have a crank, but does lift up. I have 4 tripods and none have cranks but all rise. As to a quick release, this doesn't and I don't know the current tilt-all's but I doubt the head is interchangeable. You can, or at least could, buy a quick release adapter from Manfrotto that will screw in like the camera would to the tripod head and then you just use the quick release plates on the camera to connect to the tripod.</p>

<p>Also, if you have any ideas of making video recordings with this tripod, you want one tha has a very smooth panning action. Avoid low-end cheap tripods because when you try panning the camera you get very sticky, herky-jerky head movements and that ruins the video image.</p>

<p>that tripod is pretty short as a starter. You might think it makes sense but as soon as you are on a slope of a hill or some uneven surface, you won't like bending down below your waist! I like Manfrotto's overall, but again, height is important and this is barely over 4 feet fully extended!</p>

<p>I would not worry so much about the legs as the head. For light work (no heavy camera <em>or</em> lens), I find the Manfrotto 222 Grip Action Ballhead to be very useful--and it is quick release. I also like the fact that, when one lets go of the release, it will stay where one puts it (with a light load). That frees up the other hand for other things. It will work with a variety of possible leg sets, which should be chosen with an eye to lightness, strength, weight, etc., as the situation requires.</p>

<p>Photo.net founder Philip Greenspun's classic article on tripods is still on the site and is well worth reading--and re-reading:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/equipment/tripods/</p>

<p>You are going to spend more time and money on tripod legs and heads than you ever thought possible if you are going to be well-equipped in the field. They are the foundations of all work requiring a tripod--and much work does. Get the best that you can, but do not ever expect to find one tripod that does it all. No such animal exists, anymore than one single camera or lens is going to work for every subject and every situation.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Model numbers and names have changed over the years, of course. Manfrotto was content for a long time with being called "Bogen" in the U.S., but Bogen was always the distributor, never the manufacturer. In addition, essentially the same legs are now labeled differently (than Greenspun's numbers) under Manfrotto's new numbering system.</p>

<p>LEGS: Unless you are willing to pay for carbon fiber, Manfrotto offers a couple of low-end legsets that are quite good, although not ultra-light: the Manfrotto 055XPROB and the Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro. The latter is shorter but with ball-head and camera comes up pretty high. Overall I prefer the 055XPROB, which is taller but also heavier--but weight is relative, and so for many applications these are plenty light. (For mountain hiking you will want carbon fiber sooner or later.)</p>

<p>What I like about both models in the preceding paragraph is that they (1) have three sections per leg instead of four (which means that they are quicker to take up and down, but they are also longer when they are collapsed--a consideration in airports and on the trail) (2) both have flip levers on the legs, likewise handy for rapid setups and takedowns.</p>

<p>Yes, Gitzo is in some sense better, and I have both Gitzo and Manfrotto (alas, if life were simpler, but it isn't). I also have a lot heavier and sophisticated mounts, including Arca-Swiss ballheads, a Wimberley gimbal mount, etc. Even so, these are for heavier, more specialized applications. Day in and day out, with light camera/lens combos, what I have recommended will serve you pretty well. I use them all the time and keep one in the trunk of both cars. The Gitzos, Arca-Swiss, and Wimberley I keep set up in an extra room.</p>

<p>If you are using a smaller camera and lens and want to get something solid that will serve you for years, Manfrotto (Bogen) could be the way to go. They will not come in under the budget that you have specified, but you are, quite frankly, going to have trouble finding what you want on that budget.</p>

<p>If there is the perfect tripod/mount combo, I haven't found it--and I do not expect to.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any thoughts on the following Mannfrotto tripod?</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

The ball is too small.  You will not find the stability that you want.  I have it, but do not use it.  The legs have four sections,which means that the legset breaks down to a shorter length, but is more trouble to put up and take down.  It is shorter than I would find comfortable.<br>

<br>

--Lannie</p>

<p>A better model, in that it includes the quick release plate:<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602430-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_7302YB_7302YB_4_Section_Aluminum_Tripod.html<br>

I sell a lot of these at my studio, but as mentioned only 4' - but center column can get it up to a reasonable height (forget crank style, to time consuming). Ball head is a MUST (who wants to miss a shot because you forgot which of three handles to adjust for a slight tilt left), and should come with a bag and quick release base and plate. Light but sturdy for the XSi or XTi. Tripod is, as stated, probably more important than the camera in many respects.</p>