Favourite Nikon lenses for the D3x

james_tye1

<p>Hi all,<br>

I'm upgrading my Nikon D300 (considering the 1dsMkIII or the D3 or D3x) and wondered if Nikon users could recommend any favourite lenses. I'm not against 3rd party, just wondering what your top choices might be. <br /> A second query, is there much to gain with the D3x over the D3 other than file size?<br>

Many thanks.</p>

<p>It will really help if you can mention what sort of photography you do. Fashion? Sports? Landscape? Wildlife? Jewelry? The question (about lenses) is essentially unanswerable without some context, including a mention of how the output will actually be used (prints? publications? what <em>size</em>?).<br /><br />As for the differences between the D3 and its X sibling: just use the search tool at the top right of this screen. You'll get results <strong><a href="../search/?cx=000753226439295166877%3A0gyn0h9z85o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&section=all&q=d3+vs+d3x&filter=0&sa.x=12&sa.y=8#1290">like this</a></strong>. Lots of prior discussion and insight on that topic.</p>

<p>Favorite lenses? What type of subjects are you going to capture with the D3X?</p>

<p>You can see some advantages of the D3X over the D3/D3S if your subjects have a lot of fine details and you are going to make huge prints. However, you pretty much have to use a good tripod and use high-quality lenses at their optimal apertures to get the most out of the D3X's 24MP. If not, at least I have a hard time seeing the difference between 12MP and 24MP.<br>

Photo.net's D3X Review has more details: <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D3X/review/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D3X/review/</a></p>

<p>James<br>

Buying a camera like the D3 or D3x and not having a plan as what lenses you need is bordering on the ridiculous. I am curious as a very satisfied D300 user what motivates you to need a newer and better camera. The reason I am always railing against this kind of silly expenditure is because how counter productive it is. Here's a true story at the Monterey historic races a few years back I had my trusty D70 and a D200, one fitted with a 300 2.8 and the other a 400 3.5 MF lens I managed to get my self in a good position amongst some media photographers {that's another story}. As it turns out I was sitting next to a guy with a brand new D2x and a 17-55 lens, he was not a pro but needed to get some shots for a web site hence the media pass. His office had blown the entire equipment budget buying the most expensive Nikon available but effectively he had a tool that was pretty worthless for the job in hand. My point is this: lenses first camera second. That's the logical way to approach things. Lastly the difference in cost between a D3 a D300 is I'm guessing a ratio of 3-1, would somebody somewhere tell me that their photography has improved to the same ratio because of the change in camera. Lastly I recently met a local newspaper photographer here in Southern California a guy who had been in the business probably 35 years I asked him what camera he used, a D1h he told me, isn't that a bit long in the tooth I asked, his reply "it works and I know how it works why change it ".<br>

Just food for thought<br>

Steve </p>

<p>Don't forget the Cosina Zeiss 35mm f/2, in either AIS (ZF version) or AI-P (ZF.2 version).</p>

<p>As for "lenses first, camera second," that makes a lot of sense most of the time. But since there's a fundamental difference between a D300 and the FX cameras you mentioned, you may want to consider lenses that will work well on either format, since my guess is you'll get an FX camera eventually.</p>

<p>If you are thinking about buying a D3s or D3X and don't already know which lenses you need or want, you are buying the wrong product. Stick with a D90 or your D300, good kit lens, then figure out what you need from there.</p>

<p>Why do you need full-frame? If you don't print much above 11 x 14 (and possibly even if you do) there is nothing to be gained.</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses. My question was what were your favourite lenses for whatever type of photography you might shoot, simple as that, unrelated to what I shoot. I own a Nikon wide angle zoom, mid range zoom and telephoto + a couple of primes, mostly DX. I shoot portraits, documentary, editorial and quite a bit on location. My D300 is great but I would like to upgrade to full frame. Yes of course it depends who's behind the camera, I think that's a given!</p>

<p>James, don't forget the legendary 105/2.5. You don't always need to spend lots of money to get great lenses, (obviously). So in a way you can actually spend most of your money on the camera!</p>

<p>As for the D3 or D3X, keep in mind that a jump from 12Mpx to 24Mpx increases resolution by 50%, not 100%. If it matters. I'd say go for the D3 (or D700) simply because of low light performance. If detail is more important, well, D3X then.</p>

<p>The D3x has more to offer than a lot of pixels. It has the best dynamic range of existing DSLRs and an ability to separate between colours that you need to go medium format to achieve, especially the reds. </p>

<p>The D3s is optimized for press photographers who enjoy the high frames per second and the best in class high ISO performance.</p>

<p>You need high end glass to get the most out of both:</p>

<p>Base wardrobe:<br>

1. AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8<br>

2. AF-S 50mm f/1.4G<br>

3 AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II</p>

<p>Other more specialized goodies<br>

1. AF-S 14-24 f/2.8<br>

2. 50mm f/1.2 AIS<br>

3. Carl Zeiss Macro Planar 100mm f/2 ZF (or you offer Bjorn Rorslett to buy one of his Voigtländer 125mm lenses)<br>

4. AF 200mm f/4 micro<br>

5. AF-S 200mm f/2<br>

etc., etc., etc.</p>

<p>Peter, I would disagree that there is nothing to be gained from an FX body if you only print 11 x 14 (or even 13 x 19). If you print those sizes, the gain is minimal, if nothing at all for going from 12 to 24MP. But FX to DX is not about print size, but rather about the light gathering properties of the sensors and the behavior of your lenses.</p>

<p>James, why not the D700? Or if you wait, there is rumor of a D900 being announced in Febuarary. But this is not confirmed, so take that with a grain of salt.</p>

<p>Personally, I haven't shot FF, so my favorite lenses are based on DX performance. The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM II, Nikkor 55mm Micro f3.5 Pre-AI, and so far, the Voigtlander 20mm f3.5. I haven't had much time to play with the Voigtlander, and I do find the D200's focus screen lacking. Plan to upgrade the screen, but just haven't gotten to it yet.</p>

<p>Hi James, I use a D3 and a D700 - all my lenses are FX and are the best I can afford. I have the 14-24 AFs f2.8; 24-70 AFs f2.8; 105 Micro; 24 mm PCE, a 300 mm f4; 500 mm f4P; and a 1000 mm reflex f11. I also have the 70-300 VR, 80-400VR, 70-180 Micro, 105 f2 DC; 28-200; and a 16 mm fisheye. Then there are the 50 mm f1.8; 28-105; 17-35 f2.8 and so on. Add two or three Sigma's ......... As you can see, I don't take pictures any more ........ I spend all my time deciding which lenses to take with me and when I have done that ...... It's time for bed. Get the BEST glass you can afford for the pictures YOU want to take........ look very seriously at the D700 and D3 ........ If you want to print the size of a building wall then look at the D3x.</p>