F-- error Nikon D80 and Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC

nishnishant

<p>Okay, I've had this lens for a few weeks now. Yesterday was the first time I got this F-- error. I got the error on two occasions and each time, I switched it off and on, and the lens started working again fine.</p>

<p>From earliest posts in this forum from Shun and others I've gathered that the error means the camera is unable to communicate with the lens' auto-focus mechanism (it's a communication error at the electronic chip level).</p>

<p>I am not overly worried right now - because I saw a few others mention that they've got this error a few times with Tamron lenses on Nikon cameras and that the problem happens very rarely.</p>

<p>But if this repeats daily, it is obviously a major annoyance. I think I am past the return period, so worst case I will have to send it to Tamron to make a fix. But right now my thinking is it's too early to do anything like that. I only got it twice so far, and I am going to wait and see if I get it more often in future.</p>

<p>One other possibly related thing happened yesterday. The auto focus stopped working but I did not get the F-- error. I just zoomed the lens a little and then it auto focused again (but that has happened with Nikon lenses too, and it usually happens when the subject/background contrast is weak).</p>

<p>I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this F-- error, and whether you think I am right in deciding to wait rather than pull the trigger abruptly.</p>

<p>Nish, F-- means the camera body cannot communicate with the so called "CPU" chip inside the lens. It really is not a CPU (Central Processing Unit); rather it is just an IC chip, but CPU is the terminology Nikon has been using for 2 decades.</p>

<p>You'll get the F-- error if the lens is older, e.g. most manual-focus lenses (AI/AI-S) have no chip. However, some manual-focus AI-P lenses such as the 45mm/f2.8 P do. It has nothing to do with auto focus and its mechanism. All Nikon AF lenses since the late 1980's have that chip. If you get F-- with an AF lens, that means the electronic communication channel is blocked somewhere.</p>

<p>I am sure most of you have seen this recommendation before: when you see F-- with an AF lens (or P lens), clean the electronic contacts around the lens mount, on both the body and the lens.</p>

<p>Ok, I replied before you edited the post. But my lens is brand new, barely 5 weeks old. I can't believe the electronic contacts could have got dirty that fast.</p>

<p>One other thing I forgot to mention was that the temperature was probably 28-30F (actual temp, not wind-chill which I know won't affect the camera or the lens). I wonder if that could have contributed in any way.</p>

<p>Also, if it's a dirty contacts issue, how did it start working when I switched it off and on? That part is baffling. I also considered if perhaps I have not connected the lens firmly enough to the body - but again, I did that the day I got the lens and have not unmounted the lens since then, and this error only happened yesterday.</p>

<p>Anyway good to know the technical details behind the error. Thanks again Shun.</p>

<p>Okay, here's an update. I removed the Tamron, and mounted my Nikon 50 mm AFD and took several shots. No error.</p>

<p>I then re-mounted my Tamron and took tons more shots, no error.</p>

<p>My wife says it's less than 30 days since I received the lens (ordered via Amazon) and I may have a day or two more to return it. So I am going to keep taking shots to see if I get the error again.</p>

<p>If I am convinced that it's a lens error I'll return it and ask for an exchange. If not I'll take a risk and keep the lens.</p>

<p>Curiously, nearly all the F-- errors people report seem to be with Tamron. I guess there's a reason Nikon lenses cost twice or thrice as much and are still popular!</p>

Nish, I've seen the same thing with the same lens some days ago, while we had extremely cold weather. I am pretty sure it is temperature-related. Under those conditions I also had frequent autofocus problems, that always went away after i turned the camera off/on. Thus this lens' internal electronics may be more sensitive to low temperature than that of other lenses.

<p>Hey Andreas,</p>

<p>What temperatures did you shoot at? I was shooting in temperatures around 30F which I don't think is too cold. I've heard people talk of shooting in -ve F (not C) weather. So I am a little surprised that this might be the problem.</p>

<p>Also one time this morning (I've been testing this out continuously since I started this thread), I got the F-- error once when I switched it on. But this time (and this is the baffling part) it went away when I half-clicked the trigger. Means it went away without me switching it off/on.</p>

<p>My conclusions so far are that perhaps the cold may have played a part but to me it primarily seems to be a case of the lens not mounting 100% correctly on the Nikon body. Or rather it mounts correctly, but on the odd occasion it probably moves a few micro millimeters causing the F-- error and then when you just shake the lens or give it a little twitch, it moves back and the problem goes away.</p>

<p>And yeah, I did read on a flickr forum thread people complaining that they get this error with the D90 and the kit lens (18-105 VR). So it doesn't seem to be a Tamron-specific issue.</p>

<p>My big worry is whether I should risk keeping the lens. If I can return it and get another copy of the lens in exchange, it's mentally satisfying but I hate having to return/exchange stuff (and there's the postal delay and wait-time involved). On the other hand even if I can't consistently reproduce the F-- error I will live in constant fear that the error will get worse and more frequent in future.</p>

<p>Nish, if this problem has appeared more than a few times, I would get the lens exchanged or if it is too late for that, get it repaired under warranty. If you wait, it can potentially get worse over time and eventually you'll have to pay for repair when the warranty expires.</p>

<p>That was something I learned the hard way years ago on some electronics, not cameras.</p>

At around -10 degrees Celsius. My impression is, that the lens sits a little looser at those temperatures, metal contracting with the cold. And yes, fiddling about with the lens can make it go away, even without turning the camera off/on.

Of course I have not done any systematic research, in fact I can't even try it at the moment, as it is considerably warmer again. Temperatures have risen about 15 degrees in two days :)

<p>I have a D70s and have primarily been using film lenses (not DX) on the body when I get this error. Usually, all I have to do is turn the lens a little bit. There seems to be some play in the connection and if it turns too far one way, the contacts don't connect. My aunt has the same problem with her D80 & the kit lens so I don't think its a brand issue. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>I have had the same issue with a Tamron 28-300 VC lens and a Nikon D80.<br>

I returned the lens to Tamron under warranty and after a couple of weeks I received a call from Tamron customer service explaining that their techs had been unable to duplicate to problem.I had them return the lens and still encounter the problem on occasion but rarely. I first had the problem in the summer time so I don't associate it with cold weather.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have other issues with the D80 and am not very pleased with this camera.</p>

</blockquote>