Canon 7D and Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

fisheyestudios

<p >I'm an aspiring wedding photographer and I am looking for a newer camera. I was considering the Canon 5D MKII and the Canon 7D. I am leaning towards the 7D with all the new features. Also, I’m looking for an all around lens and found the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens and read a lot of good reviews on this site as well as others. </p>

<p >Now, I wanted to know if anyone else is using a 7D as their main rig (40D as my second camera) and please let me know what you guys think about the image quality you guys are producing with the camera. </p>

<p >Thanks,<br>

Jojie-</p>

<p>I use the Tamron 17-50 regularly on a 40D and 7D. While I realize I have a particularly good copy of the lens, it is sharper than the more expensive Canon 17-55 EFS lens. The image quality is incredible...much better than even my old 1Ds Mk2. High iso is great. I've done 8x10 prints from 3200iso which virtually no noise present. I just finished a set of 16x20 prints, handheld at iso 400 with the Tamron 17-50 and it was sharp edge to edge.</p>

<p>It will be a perfect addition to your 40D. I use a 7D with two 40D bodies, a 35mm rangefinder and a Holga for weddings. The 7D is capable of stunning capture....as long as you feed it good optics!</p>

Hmmmm.... how do I say this nicely, it is not the camera but the person behind it. Probably not what you were hoping to hear, right? But it is the truth :) Wedding pros here use everything from the 20D to the 1Ds Mark III as their "main rig" ;-), so the quality they produce is far more dependent on skill than equipment.

<p>As far as your question goes though, the 7D seems to be a great camera by just about all accounts. And so is the 17-50. I would look at getting the 17-50 with VC (image stabilisation) which has recently been released for the Canon mount.

<p>Having said that, have you used a full-frame digital camera or a film SLR camera? Full-frame has some inherent benefits not easily replicated by a crop-sensor camera like the 7D or your 40D. It may also be wise to get a full-frame to leverage the benefits of a "dual-format" (crop+full) sensor system. Indeed, the right way to look at this is to consider an entire system (bodies, lenses, accessories) based on what your style is or what you'd like it to be. That should dicatate just about all your purchases. Viewing a body in isolation from the rest of your kit is, IMO, not the best way to go about this. Give that some thought. What lenses, for instance, do you currently have?

<p >Hey Mark, </p>

<p > I've messed around with SLR's back in high school and to be honest I don’t see a whole lot of difference with a crop sensor or full frame. If I need a wider shot I'd go with a wider lens and so on. The Crop and Full frame is not a make it or brake it point for me. I'm looking into another primary camera with better IQ photos right out of the camera for less time post-processing. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >My post processing software is Lightroom 2.6 and Photoshop Elements 8. I have a Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm f4 L, Canon 28-135mm kit and a Canon 18-55mm IS kit lens as well. Please visit my personal site at <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jojie">http://www.flickr.com/photos/jojie</a> and let me know if I would do a good job as a wedding photographer. I currently have 5 booked weddings in 2010 and that’s without having any wedding photography background. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Cheers, </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Jojie-</p>

<p>Jojie, it's true that it's more the photographer than the gear. That said, either the 7D or 5D2 are excellent choices as long as the glass supports the quality of the camera. Some things in favour of FF over a crop sensor is the shallower DOF. That said, when comparing shots at a wedding taken with a 5D2 and 7D, and say an f/1.4 lens....you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference in DOF for most shots unless they were compared side by side....and even then, it's really not a big deal.</p>

<p>The FF vs crop issue has been beaten to death. Excellent results can be obtained with either. One thing to consider....you can pick up the 7D, Tamron 17-50, and a 430EXII flash for the price of the 5D2 body alone....and you can't take any pictures with just a camera body ;-)</p>

<p>In case you're wondering, I use a 7D, two 40D's, a 10D, a Minolta X700, Mamiya RB67, and a Holga for weddings. Compared to medium format....FF 35mm DSLRs are crop sensors ;-)</p>

<p>Well I'm a two camera shooter (7D and 40D) I choose this setup because my lens lineup is APS-C.</p>

<p>I prefer the 7D when flash is not allowed (say inside a church or a mosque) or when I'm outside and there is some drizzle. The weather sealing helps a lot.</p>

<p>As far as image quality, both cameras are top notch. Although, at first you might notice a slight color shift with the 7D (with the greens and red more prominent) than the 40D. But I shoot RAW so it doesn't really matter.</p>

<p>And like the others have said, it's not the camera but the one using it that counts. Had the 7D not arrived I would've bought another 40D.</p>