Philip Greenspun Mamiya 7ii

c_o1

<p>Two things...I doubt if Mr. Greenspun gets to the forums every day, so I would try the 'contact us' at the bottom of the page. Second, the photo was taken in 2000, so remembering a setting nearly 10 years ago might be tough. I've always found the 7II's meter to be extremely accurate, without a need for a handheld meter, so I would think it quite doable if it was taken with just the camera's meter.</p>

<p>The "contact us" link will get a message to me, not to Philip.</p>

<p>You should use the contact link on his member page to contact Philip.</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=23069</p>

<p>I do know that he has been almost 100% digitally for years now. But that doesn't mean that he wouldn't have any info on that particular photo.</p>

<p>CO<br>

Regardless of which metering mode/technique was used on a photograph like that, i would advise you to BRACKET exposures in such a situation. <br>

Even if the camera's meter had been used for this particular photograph, you'd still need to know how the film was rated, where the meter was pointed, and if there were other bracketed exposures or if exposure compensation were used. </p>

<p>It's like the old photo class exercise - photographing white eggs against a white background. The meter only tells you how to get an 18% gray tone, not how YOU should want to represent the white or shadows. </p>

<p>The 7's meter acts like a wide-ish spotmeter. So in a shot like the one you referenced, while a handheld meter is a good thing to have, the 7's meter could handle that situation easily as well. Either in AE or AEL mode, spot the different shades to get a sense of the overall scene's range. If that range fits in your film, then decide where you want the middle to be. Put the camera in AEL and meter of that area. Done.</p>

<p>Greg,<br>

that is interesting. I keep reading that it is lower right. I will have to figure out where mine is.</p>

<p>Braven and Derek,<br>

thank you for the input on metering. I usually carry a grey card around with me so I should be ok. I am looking forward to trying out the camera but I am still saving for a lens. Hopefullly soon.</p>

<p>Sincerely,<br>

CO</p>

<p>CO, definitely do a little experimenting with the 7/7ii to find "where the spot is." Greg said that his is slightly up and to the left of middle for him. On mine, the spot is slightly to the right and below the middle. This is easy to check by aiming the camera over and off a lightbulb as you watch the shutter indicator. The big jump in shutter speed will tell you where the meter is in relation to the viewfinder.</p>