580 EX II vs. 580 EX

misty_johnson

<p>I'm looking to buy either the EX II or EX.<br>

I've read several threads about how the 580 EX II and 580 EX differ, but is the EX II really worth the extra money?<br>

Gathering from what I've already read, I'm thinking it's not worth the extra cash. Other than the control buttons, or the ability to adjust the flash directly from the camera I can't find much more reason to buy the EX II.<br>

So what do you think?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are lots of useful threads on this topic in this forum. Many people have seen odd flash behavior on the 580EXII due to an issue in the new mounting foot design. One of the electrical pins looses contact and sends the flash into TTL mode, or turns on the modelling flash. This can be very annoying when it happens during a critical shoot (ie wedding). The redesigned flash also has silent recharging, which some find to be less desireable. Also, the new flash doesn't have a dedicated master/slave switch, and the function is now selected by menu. Some wedding photographers prefer the original design.</p>

<p>The 580EXII also has the thermal overheating switch, which can be very annoying when shooting a wedding, or at any event where sudden shut down or extra slow recycling is going to make you lose images. The PC port seems like a plus, but it really isn't.</p>

<p>On the plus side, the faster recycling is nice. I thought I wouldn't notice it, but I have.</p>

<p>Some of the above problems are why the original 580EX is still going for $275-$300 for a lightly used unit. On occasion, I've seen 'new' ones on sale on ebay and elsewhere.</p>

<p>As the current owner of 3-580EX's and 2-580EXII's I'll add my 2 cents. If you're shooting with a newer EOS DSLR, that has the ability to control the flash from the camera, then hands down the EXII is the way to go. You mentioned it above but it is a big deal especially once you get used to it. I also like the External Metering mode on the EXII as well and am using it more and more. One of my biggest pet peaves over the last 30 years of using flash is the little plastic thumb wheels to tighten the flash to the cameras hot shoe. The lever lock on the 580EXII along with the metal foot are alone reason enough to opt for the EXII version over the original EX. I thought I would really miss the Configuration Switch but I haven't especially when shooting with a 5DmII and controlling the flash from the cameras flash menu.</p>

<p>I still love my original EX's and won't be trading them in for EXII's anytime soon but my EXII's are what go with me in my camera bag and are the only flashes I use on camera anymore.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree with R Smith. I thought my 580EX was fine until it broke and i had to upgraded to a 580 EX II. The EX II is a lot faster recycle, love the control from the Camera Canon 5D2, has a pC sync plug which I need for Wiresless triggers. Has much better weather sealing. Overall, I like th enew flash better than the 580EX I.</p>

• 3 weeks later...