which softbox to get?

otto_haring

<p>I know this has been discussed in the past but I would need updated info about which soft box to get today.<br>

I would like to have a bigger softbox but something which is not horrible expensive... I have already have a small 24" softbox which I use with my flashlight but it is not that useful....I think size does matter in respect of softboxes... What do you think?<br>

I would need the soft box for weddings occasionally in a backroom. I would prefer something which I could fire with my flash but I know that I would need stronger light for the good quality. I need something which I can easily set up and pull down. What strobe should I get for the box?<br>

Do you know a moderately priced bigger good quality soft box? How much do you think my minimum investment should be? Can you recommend a very good quality softbox with strobe light and battery?<br>

Thanks a lot!</p>

<p>What Howard said. And if you want to be able to run it without AC power, you can get the Vagabond unit from Alien Bees, too. You may also want to get a CyberSync radio transmitter and receiver so that you can trigger the strobe without having to be wired up to it.</p>

<p>Photoflex softboxes are less expensive than others (e.g., Chimera). Although probably not as well made, they have Velcro flaps which allow you to release tension on the stays when striking the setup. That's a big timesaver and a lot less effort. There's an optional fabric grid which can be mounted. There's an inner and outer diffuser (the outer must be attached with Velcro), and diffusion is very even. A speed ring is available for most flash units.</p>

<p>Westscott "Halo" boxes open like an umbrella with the diffuser pernamently in place. They don't use a speed ring. You mount the shaft in an umbrella adapter and wrap the opening of the box around the light with Velcro strips. There's a lot more bleed than with a rightous softbox, but only from the front (unlike an umbrella). You can use an optional metal baffle inside to block direct light from the flash, for better diffusion.</p>