Strange sound: 100mm Macro IS USM

j_rg_helfenstein

<p>Six weeks ago I bought the 100mm macro with the new hybrid image stabilizer (IS). The first time I used it I got aware of an unusual sound the IS makes when I move the camera around with shutter button pressed half way down (it is louder then what I know from my other IS-lenses). When I hold the camera steady I just hear the normal sound from the IS, but as soon as I begin to move the camera it is there. When I hold the (unmounted) lens vertically with the mount on top and tilt it back and forth I can feel/hear a loose part.<br>

<br>

I sent the camera back to Canon for a fix, but when it came back it was just with a note that the lens is fine and nothing was done. Now I wonder if other owners of this lens share my experience of the loud IS and my copy is ok (and this is due to the newly designed IS) or if I should send it once again to Canon.<br>

</p>

<p >Thanks a lot for your replies!</p>

<p>Mine arrived only yesterday, and I immediately noticed how quiet the IS was when you are actually taking a photograph, but also that there is a new sound, a sort of whirring noise, that is audible in very short bursts if you wave the camera around with the IS running. That sounds the same as what you are hearing from the IS, and I assume it is normal for the new mechanism. However, there is no sound of anything loose inside my lens.</p>

<p> Jörg, my experience with this lens is similar to Robin's. The IS is very quiet, but I do faintly hear that "whirring noise" when I move the camera around while the shutter button is half-pressed.</p>

<p>I'm not getting any noise from the unmounted lens when I move it around. I would probably send it back for another look.</p>

<p>"Many ask about the sound made by IS. This IS implementation makes a click when it starts and again when it stops. How much noise it makes during operation depends on how much motion the lens is trying to correct. If stationary, a quiet hum with a some quiet clicks can be heard if your ear is near the lens. Move the lens around and IS whirs and clicks more significantly. The sound is definitely not offensive to me."<br>

From the-digital-picture.com review of 100mm IS.</p>

<p>Jorg,</p>

<p>IS works by moving elements within the lens to compensate for your movement. Standard IS does this in response to angular displacement. The hybrid IS in this lens also does it in response to vertical movement parallel to the focal plane. This movement makes noise.</p>

<p>Mine makes a bunch of different noises. There is an audible click when it turns on (when you depress the shutter halfway), then the faint noise that is always there when IS is on. If I move the camera while IS is on, I hear a whirring as the motor moves the relevant elements, and sometimes a clicking from them, depending on how I move it. This is normal, because the relevant elements are moving around.</p>

<p>I had never tried it before, but in response to your posting, I took the lens off, held it vertically, and shook it (gently). I could hear the elements moving around.</p>

<p>So, my guess--particularly since Canon checked it--is that your lens is fine. Mine functions flawlessly despite those noises.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Many thanks for your replies! <br>

Since the replies reporting no noise when (gently) shaking the lens overwhelm I decided to bring my copy to the Canon repair center. Although the technician said this was the first copy of a lens with hybrid IS he saw, he agreed that there shouldn’t be any loose part in the lens. I’ll let you know about the end of the story.</p>

<p>Jorg,<br /> I have the 100mm L IS and I can tell you the rattling when held vertically is perfectly <em>normal</em> . I, like you was concerned when I first noticed it and I did a bit of research, posted the question in a couple of other forums and went to a couple of dealers to <em>rattle </em> theirs and they did. It's the new IS system as the elements have to move perpendicular to the light path. So they have to move side to side freely as well is tilting to counter the effects of camera shake. So when you hold the lens vertically, the IS elements are actually sitting centred so when you gently shake it, they move side to side. turn the lens horizontally, they don't. But when you attach the lens to your camera and power it up, the rattling stops as the IS is engaged and all you'll hear is that whirring sound you mentioned. Basically, you have nothing to worry about. Good luck with your new tool, it's a fabulous lens!</p>

<p>Glenn,<br>

thanks for you explanations about the source of the rattling.<br>

Can you also confirm me that the new IS-system is louder then the other versions? When I hold my camera steady it sound like all my other IS-lenses. But as soon as I begin to move the camera (in order to 'walk through' a scene) the IS gets rather loud, at least louder than any of my other lenses.</p>

<p>Jorg,<br>

The IS is louder on my 100mm L compared to my 24-105mm L when moving about, but that's due to the 100's IS having to work harder because it has to compensate more for shift <em>and</em> angular correction. Again, nothing to worry about. However, that's nothing compared to the 300mm f4 L IS which is very loud compared to newer lenses, but it is 1st generation IS which is 11 years old now.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Today I got my lens back, without any repair. At the Canon repair center they told me the lens is in perfect condition. Glenn is perfectly right with his explanation that the design of the new hybrid IS needs the stabilized lens to be laterally free to move. <br>

<br>

Again many thanks for your help!</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>My 100mm is makes a hell of a noise. I sent it away for repair not because of the is noise but when the camera was off the body something was rattling inside. They sent back saying "NO FAULT FOUND" the rattling wasn't gone but it wasn't as bad. maybe if they took it apart and put it back together it got fixed. ANYWAY... little rattling is fine. i.s is bloody loud and its a sweet lens.</p>

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...