Trade or not?

henry_l

<p>Currently shooting with a T1i. I have a Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 DC AF OS as my walk-around lens. Someone is offering an even trade with me for a Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. Should I?<br>

I have no attachments to the sigma. Will I notice any noticeable differences besides the focal length difference? Both these lenses are priced similarly at Amazon. I've briefly read reviews, but they're all usually all on the good side.</p>

<p>If you like the Sigma, why are you considering the swap? As Kasper mentions, you'll lose on the wide end and you'll also lose on the tele end. Nothing wrong with the 28-135, but consider if it makes sense for <strong>you</strong> to give up part of the focal range you now have.</p>

<p>The 28-135 is a nice lens, I had one for a time. For use on a crop sensor camera like my 40D the 28mm wide end is just not enough. I sold it, then purchased a Tamron 17-50 which has turned out to be a superb lens. Other then my telephoto needs for auto racing the Tamron is the only lens I use for general photography and I'm very happy with the results. </p>

Why does the other want to trade?

Aren't those reasons equally valid for you?

If the Canon will be the only lens you have my guess is that you'll feel restricted by it's range.

That said, within it's range the Canon's probably the better lens.

(Read them up on photozone.de or the-digital-picture.)

<p>is this person implying the canon has better IQ than the sigma. perhaps, just the tiniest bit. i wouldn't trade. 28 is too long on the wide end, the IQ difference isn't substantial (and purely subjective), you lose the tele-end of the sigma.<br>

superzooms are nice for what they do. i'd keep it and have fun.</p>

<p>ps -- if you're thinking about getting different (meaning better, faster) glass, this probably isn't the best way to go.</p>

<p>The "why do you want this?" question is an important one. The 28mm focal length is barely wide angle at all - with the "newer" lens you will pretty much give up any wide coverage.</p>

<p>In my view the 28-135mm focal length lenses are left over from the days of 35mm film cameras. On those cameras - but not on yours - they offered a focal length range from moderately wide to moderately long in a single lens. As such they made a lot of sense to certain users. However, on your cropped sensor camera the equivalent lens would have a focal length range similar to that of the EFS 17-85mm lens, not 28-135mm.</p>

<p>Unless you are disappointed in the real performance of the current lens for your photography and can clearly articulate the reasons for your disappointment, I think you might consider keeping the current lens.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>From my point of view, if your asking should you.. Then I would say no.<br>

Sounds like you are enjoying your gear, nothing to be gained from the trade IMO.<br>

I had the 28-135 for my XTi and while its a great lens(unrated in my opinion), 28 is a little long on the crop bodies.<br>

I think the IQ would be a better but by how much is anyone's guess, and I don't think it would be night and day better.</p>

<p>I though I posted a response earlier today, but I guess it never went through...so here we go again.<br>

I guess I left out pertinent info in my OP. So. I am shooting with a T1i, I have the Sigma 18-200, Canon 17-85, 50 1.4, 85 1.8. The Sigma was my original walk around lens. I just acquired the Canon 17-85 (inherited from dad). So I obviously have an over lap with the 18-200 and 17-85. If I do decide to trade I can use the 17-85 for the wide end, and 28-135 to take care of the long. Then again, I wouldn't walk around with two of them. I know I may not gain anything with the trade, I'm just toying around with the walk around range for now. In the future I would like to move up to L glass, so I will end up selling the 17-85 as well, and the Sigma, or Canon 28-135 if I make the trade.<br>

So does this extra bit of info change any of your opinions?</p>