Right time to visit Mono Lake in December?

billy_lee

<p>During this Christmas period, I'll visit CA. I'll stay with my family in Fremont. I'm thinking of spending two days alone to visit and photogragh Mono Lake. Is it right time to visit it? Is the road accessible during this time of the year? Any other suggestions besides Mono Lake. I'm flexible.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Depends on what is going on with the weather. Mono Lake is right off the highway, so that area will be plowed but whether you can get to the lake will depend on how much snow has accumulated. Most other areas around there, like Bodie, Mammoth Lakes etc will most likely be snowed in--haven't followed the weather around there though, but a little snow and they are limited/closed.</p>

<p>Because of where you will be staying, have you thought of staying out of the mountains and maybe going somewhere like Point Lobos and Big Sur? Should be great this time of year if it isn't raining. Summer fog will be gone and these can be great this time of year.</p>

<p>Mono Lake is quite near Highway 395 and the highways that skirt it to the north and south sides. These roads are kept open (when possible) and cleared but snow/storm conditions may cause them to be closed or very difficult to travel. Parking at the Tufa Reserve or Visitor Center is probably a lower priority so it can be a little difficult to predict just how close you will be able to get, if you need to travel over the snow, etc. The Tioga Road is closed so for your shortest route, you would have to go via the Tahoe and Donner routes, then south. You would want to be prepared for snow and have chains. Depending on conditions, chain controls may require chains to be carried or even used on all vehicles including 4x4s.</p>

<p>It could be smooth sailing up and over the mountains or a brutal slog or impassable depending on the conditions. You'd be trying to get over 7,000 - 8,000 foot mountain passes, competing with other vacationers, truckers, and all of the various snow sports participants going to/from the play areas and resorts in Tahoe, Donner, and June Lake and Mammoth Mountain.</p>

<p>Crowds not withstanding, you could much more easily get to Yosemite Valley (again with some storm & highway condition variability) or to the Monterey/Big Sur areas. One thing to consider with Mono Lake is that it's likely to be hard to get reservations, (economy may make it easier) but it's peak season for the ski resorts and Yosemite areas. Monterey is a pretty convenient day trip and you could more easily work around the worst weather.</p>

<p>Hmmh. Crossed posts. Probably a good idea. Even if Hwy. 1 washes out, you can work your way to San Simeon from the San Luis Obispo end. The Mono area does offer great photo opportunities in winter, just it's not always easy.</p>

<p>The problem with Fremont to Mono Lake is that you can't take a very direct route. Highways 108 and 120 are closed for the year, and won't reopen until the spring thaw. The closest routes are highway 50 (or I-80) to the north via Tahoe, or highway 58 to the south via Tehachapi. Any of these routes will be temporarily closed during and after a big storm, but they'll try and keep them plowed as best they can. Once you get to highway 395, it should be open year round, but it can have temporary closures at any time and place during a storm. With only two days, you'll be struggling to get from Fremont to Mono Lake and back. You'll also be fighting a lot of traffic due to skiers.</p>

<p>You can check current California road conditions here: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi</p>

<p>As an alternate, Yosemite is pretty in the snow this time of year, and much less crowded than during the summer. For some webcam views: http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/</p>

<p>It's probably eight hours from Fremont to Lone Pine via Tehachapi Pass, then another two hours to Mono Lake assuming no problems with snow or traffic. Going via Lake Tahoe (U.S. 50) would take the same amount of time or perhaps much more, depending on road and traffic conditions. I'd save this trip for the period June-October when you can go directly via route 120 in maybe 5-1/2 hours, barring traffic problems.</p>