D5000 settings for shooting in a gym

dave_ciango

<p>In reply to: "with the the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens that you suggest I need to be very close to the action correct, like under the basket or sideline?"<br>

Dave, the 50mm f/1.8 lens is the least expensive option for shooting in a low-light setting (you can probably get a used lens from www.keh.com). Yes, it would require you to sit close to the scene or zoom and crop your photo after shooting WHEN you're shooting indoors, under low-level fluorescent lights, without flash, and have subjects that are moving, but they'll be MUCH better pictures. You can still use your zoom lens outdoors for your son's baseball games. Most* of the advice above is sound, they're just different ways of dealing with the constraints of your setting. *Note: The Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens will work fine with your camera. Nikon's literature says that only AF-S and AF-I lenses can be used, but the current Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens, although labeled as "AF-D" is an AF-S lens. (Don't blame be, I didn't come up with their nomenclature system.) <br>

Good luck,<br>

Phil</p>

<p>I am going to shoot a game tonight and use the suggestions above as a guide, one thing I am a bit confused with is setting my image quality on the D5000.<br>

As mentioned above I should shoot in NEF/RAW, I am not sure what setting to use.<br>

Raw<br>

Raw+B<br>

Raw+N<br>

Raw+F</p>