macro bugs photography.

teijus_kannan

I have seen lot of insect and bugs closeup photos and it really

fascinates me. I would like to try taking some. I have a canon eos

50e with 28-105 usm lens. To magnify the insect to such an extent

what should I buy? a close up lens (500D, etc ) or a 100-3004.5-5.7

lens. Which brand will be good . Being a student, I cannot go for

expensive lenses. Answers will be highly appreciated. thank you.

If you want lots of magnification, you'd be better off with something like the 500D instead of a 100-300. Of course, nothing beats a dedicated macro lens. In fact, you might just be able to get some good deals on a used Tamron 90/2.8 macro or a Tokina/Sigma equivalent. These are quite a bit cheaper than the Canon equivalent... so, if you're planning to do lots of insec photography, save up for a real macro lens.

<p>

Yes, they are fascinating. Some of my bug shots <A HREF="http://www.rsriram.ws/photo-albums/insects-jpegs/index.htm">here</A>.

The 90mm macro will give you more magnification because it will be able to focus at a closer distance. The 105 probably has minimum focusing distance of about 2 feet. The 90 is probably a couple of inches. That's where the difference in magnification comes from.

If you're after a very cheap dedicated macro lens, take a look at the Vivitar 100 f3.5 macro. Image quality is very good, build quality not so good, but ok. It goes to 1/2 lifesize on its own and comes with a matching closeup lens to take it to full lifesize.

They are sold under different brand names like Cosina etc.

Although not perfect, it is possible to use the 28-105 for close up shots. The lens itself already focusses rather close. With a close up filter or extension tube you can get even closer.

I would advice to use a close up filter rather than an extension tube. But to show that even with an extension tube you can get some interesting shots, here is a link to my website for some images made with the combination of an EF 28-105 and an EF25 extension tube (lens at 105mm). http://www.wildpicture.com/temp/makro.htm

Personally I don't do much macro work, but I use an EF 70-200/2.8L with 500D close up filter most of the time. Works nice, but is very big and heavy.

I have been using the Sigma 180mm f3.5 EX APO HSM macro lens. I purchased it for 1/3rd the price of the Canon macro lens and I am getting very good results with it. You can get 1:1 magnification without any add-on.

I wouldn't consider this as an expensive lens, but it's really a subjective issue here :)

A 75-300 will give you more working distance than a true macro if you use close-up lenses or extension tubes (don´t know about the 500D). You will not have to be very close to the bug, and this can be usefull as you will not scare him away. But nothing beats a true macro for quality (I also like macro, but still cannot afford a true macro lens, so I use this combo).

• 3 weeks later...