AF500FTZ and AF240FT as manual flashes with MX

paddy_macmahon1

<p>Can pentax flashes designed for TTL control on autofocus bodies be safely used on a Pentax MX? I realise there can't possibly be any auto controls, but will the voltages, etc be compatible - firing the flashes won't fry the body's contacts or vice-versa. Does anyone successfully use such a set-up?</p>

<p>Paddy</p>

<p>I don't think there should be any problem with these--to my knowledge all the Pentax-brand flashes have relatively (digital-safe) trigger voltages anyway. For what it's worth though these particular flashes aren't great choices because they have no 'auto flash' modes (no built in light-sensor). At least the AF500FTZ has more manual levels available. An AF280T or AF200T might be a better choice.</p>

<p>Thanks for that, Andrew - I realise neither is ideal, but there's a major advantage of both the AF500FTZ and the AF240FT from my point of view: I already own the former and two of the latter, having rigged them up for macro work with my MZ-5n (RIP). Since your post I've popped the AF240FT on the MX and fired - all is OK, but it will of course be a purely manual flash.</p>