Panasonic G1 and Leica lenses

steven_sherwin

<p>I am looking to buy a digital camera and the G1 currently comes top of my list. One big reason is that I can use my Leica M series lenses on the G1 with the adaptor. I would be curious to know of other members experiences with the M series lenses and this camera.<br>

Also, how is the shutter lag? I have played with the camera in the shop but this isnt the same as being on the street so to speak.<br>

Thanks for your assistance</p>

<p>I bought a G1 about a year ago. Couldn't be happier with it. If you use other lenses, though, you have to be prepared to do manual focusing. I have learned to do it very quickly, and rather enjoy it, especially the capacity to zoom in with the EVF for fine focusing. On a recent trip to Peru and Machu Picchu, I had the Leica M8 with wide angle in one hand and the G1 with a Leica M 50mm Lux pr-Asph in the other. The 50mm becomes a 100mm on the 4/3 camera. 100 was just about right for "other photos" for me. I had the kit zoom which also goes out to 90mm and the longer zoom from 45-200 (90-400) but rarely used them. If you want a G1 you have to act quickly. Most mail order places like B&W or Adorama are out of stock except for the red ones. Someone just posted a notice that Panasonic USA is offering the red ones at a discount now. You have to go to their web site to order. The GH1 costs much more money, but if you also want a video camera it might be worth it. So, I got the G1 as a backup to my Leica and to use longer lenses, such as my old film Nikon lenses, and for macro photography. I bought a classic Nikon 50mm macro lens and adapter, which works fine on the G1 as well. So, it compliments the RF quite well. Oh, I should have said light enough to allow you to hang it over your neck along with the M8. I'll attach a photo I took in Peru with the G1 and the Leica 50mm Lux. Good luck. </p><div>00VIul-202455684.jpg.472dd5f1fa8ea6e45b38182186d2fdd3.jpg</div>

<p>Steven</p>

<p>I also own a G1 and while I do not use Leica M lenses I use a lot of manual lenses. Shutter lag is all too often focus lag, so with "lens off" mode (to allow the camera to work with a legacy lens) and a manual focus lens you have essentially no lag at all.</p>

<p>An advantage of the manual lenses is that the standard lenses reset their focus every time there is a power cycle, the manual lenses do not. So you can prefocus and leave it there.</p>

<p>double the advantages</p>

<p>of course you realise that the Leica lenses will be double their focal length compared to 35mm capture, this may change your feelings about them. I have OM lenses and I absolutely love my 21mm on film or full frame. It becomes an uninteresting 42mm on 4/3 so I seldom use it. My 50mm however has a great feel to it on 4/3 and is almost my favorite short portrait telephoto of all time.</p>

<p>If I was buying again I would want the 20mm f1.7 lens and the 50mm as my main lenses.</p>

<p>there is rumor of a 14mm f2.8 too ... that would just about do me</p>

<p>I've been using the G1 with a variety of lenses since Dec 2008. It's an excellent performer. </p>

<p>I've used a number of lenses on it, none of them Leica M mount. All have worked pretty well. For short lenses I prefer to stick with Micro-FourThirds or FourThirds SLR lenses. For focal lengths 28mm and up, whatever you like. </p>