how to grab dslr with heavy lenses?

tgraening

<p>hello,<br>

i'm wondering how to grab a camera with a large and heavy lens, when pulling it out of the bag as an example. nikon slr and 70-200 2.8 is the combo – anyone heard something of a broken mount on the camera side or lens because of lifting body only / lens only? i assume every lens coming with a tripod mount is meant to be fixed by the collar, no matter if d3 or d40. same goes for picking it up?</p>

<p>thanks and merry christmas<br>

tobias</p>

<p>Nikon's manuals for the super telephotos specifically warn you to hold the lens and not the camera alone. I'd image picking the camera up vertically to get it out of a case (which may be unavoidable) puts less stress on the mount than holding the camera with the lens out in front.</p>

<p>My largest/heaviest lens is the 400/2.8 VR; I've maneuvered it out of the bag by holding the camera, but I'd never think of not letting the lens itself support the weight at the first opportunity.</p>

<p>70-200/2.8 is not that heavy, I would grab it any way you like when simply lift out from bag or table top. It is the 300/2.8, 400/2.8 and longer lens that you need to pay some attention. Most mount stress happens from shock when you bounce it around while moving from one local to another. Carry by the the lens or lens mount (ie: with monopod) for that. </p>

<p>As a rule I would recommend handling a camera and long lens combination by the lens, especially if you have a consumer grade body. The pro grade bodies are more robust with metal frames. Still, even with a prosumer body, I would hold the lens camera combination as much as possible by the lens.</p>

<p>As has been stated, I don't think the Nikon 70-200mm is heavy enough to be a concern on any Nikon body.</p>

<p>Ditto, best to handle by the lens. And if you've never destroyed one of these, I have the honor of a few, what usually happens is the lens pulls away from the body between the top two screws of the lens mount and the lens may stay OK because of the center screw in the mount of most lenses at the top side. Usually though this isn't from just picking up the lens, it is from some form of mishap. Twice I changed both the lens mount and the body mount on the F3 when I used to shoot a lot of sports. One got knocked through a bleacher, the other side line sacked, along with me. Anyway, your use should prove less dreadful I hope and be kept in check by holding the most awkward or heavier part as a rule, less problems.</p>