Cambo 9' UST Studio stand can these be cut down to 7' ?

carl_sanders_photography

<p>Hi there, we are purchasing a used one on the basis that someone along the way informed that these can be cut down in height, the purchase is less than a 2 series Gitzo tripod. Has anyone done this or know of anyone who has? Was it relatively easy to do, it is appreciated that no likes doing this but it will not fit in the studio otherwise.<br>

Any advice much sort after and appreciated.<br>

best wishes, <br>

Carl </p>

<p>Depends on how it is built, but many of the studio stands work on the basis of a counter weight (inside the column) that is on the end of a long cable that attaches to the cross arm. This works with a "cap" that has a pulley and sits on top of the column. By cutting the column length and shortening the cable and then putting the "cap" back on the column, you should be done with it.</p>

<p>Might want to pay for a machine shop to make the cut so it is precise and squared off!</p>

<p>Yes, It can be done as John describes. But unless your ceiling is so low that you must do it, I suggest that you don't. Even if you only use that extra height once in a blue moon, you may be surprised at how often that blue moon shows up.</p>

<p>I recently bought a new longer column for my studio stand and while most of my work is done at much lower levels, that nine foot possibility is getting a work out.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Thanks we used a Bahco hacksaw, 145kg tension with 24tpi (standard purchase), no expert but it gave clean cut, moved tube round instead of cutting across, finished with metal file and sandpaper. The whole item was striped, cleaned, refurbished and looks like new. Whole stand is simply engineered so pleasure to progress. Any one else thinking of doing this only too happy to help, best wishes, </p>