Looking for Advice on Filter Size

jonathancombsphotography

<p>When I first purchased my Nikon D40 I made the mistake of running out and buying a bunch of filters that I ended not even using. I have since upgraded from the kit lens, which uses 52mm filters, to a lens that uses 67mm. I would like to purchase a few good filters (polarizer, neutral density, etc) that will work on both lenses, as well as lenses I might purchase in the future. I am wondering if I should go with 67mm, or if it would make more sense to move up to a larger size, maybe 77mm. Also, are there certain filters that will work significantly better without using a step-up ring, so I should consider buying 2 filters, sized to fit the lenses that I currently own?<br>

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks.</p>

<p>My ultimate lenses someday are the following and the filter size for all them is 77mm<br />10-24, 17-55, 70-200<br>

So I've been buying 77mm filters/adapters only. I only have 10-24 from the above list. I also have 18-200, 70-300, and others but I don't use filters with them; only with 10-24 for landscape shots and the like.</p>